Vista can''t open any program

Solved/Closed
Fred - May 23, 2011 at 04:23 PM
 Ender_Romeave - Nov 8, 2016 at 08:38 PM
Hello,

On my other computer Vista will not open any programmes.

After AVG warned us that we had a virus and we sent it to the Vault.
After that when we try to open any program at all it comes up with and 'open with' box.

We also tried to open REGEDIT.EXE by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and opening Task Manager. Once there, we clicked File, then held down the CTRL key and clicked New Task (Run). This opened a Command Prompt window. We entered REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. This too came up with the open with screen. Even system restore doesnt work. How would I go about fixing this?

Sorry about my earlier impoliteness, I was in a hurry, and thankyou in advance for the great answers I trust you will give.

Fred
Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
May 23, 2011 at 04:33 PM
Hi,

Try this:

1. Download the .zip file from the hyperlink below:
Exefix_Vista

2. Open the downloaded .zip file, then extract (drag and drop) the .reg file to the desktop.

3. Right click on the extracted .reg file and click on Merge.

4. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK.

5. When done, you can delete the downloaded .zip and .reg files on the desktop if you like.

6. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply.

Good Luck!
Thankyou for answering so quickly, it worked fine.

Thankyou,
Fred
Anonymous User
May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM
You're welcome Fred, thanks Ambicias also, he was the first to reply, hein my friend ;-)
Thanks guys, just found this to help fix my friend's fried Vista laptop and it worked a treat, you're legends.
Thanks guys, you help me to fix my vista and it warked. Thanks :-)
Worked great! Thank you, you are a life saver!
bobr07 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday February 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2015
Feb 1, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Vista PC/ Worked like champ. Awesome!