Cannot access shared folders remotely

Solved/Closed
maqs - Updated on Nov 28, 2018 at 05:22 AM
 krushna - Aug 16, 2010 at 04:45 AM
Hello,

I have a shared folder (e.g. MyFolder) on a Windows computer (e.g. MyPC) with share permission for 'Everyone' having full control and security permission for 'Users' and 'Administrator' of the computer (MyPC).

When I try to access the shared (MyFolder) from another computer I get the following message

\\MyPC\\MyFolder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access denied

I wonder why I am not getting the login prompt for user name and password ???

When I type \\MyPC\c$ I get a the login prompt. but when I type \\MyPC\MyFolder I get the above mentioned error.

Please help.

Thanks and regards
maqs
Related:

10 responses

EDIT: Under Windows 10 do as follows :
  • Go to Control Panel / Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center / advance sharing settings.
  • Go to Change sharing options for different network profiles, and click "down arrow" on Private. Hover to HomeGroup connections
  • Choose "Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)".
  • Save modifications.

Under older Windows systems :
  • 1. Share folder : Make a new folder or use an existing one, anywhere. Right click this folder and choose properties > sharing. Do the thing. You might have to turn off simple file sharing.
  • 2. Set permissions : Right click shared folder > properties > security. Add the user who you want to have access (if you don't care, add 'everyone' with full permission).

If you want to permit only specified users aka not 'everyone' then you might have to add those user as local users accounts on the computer you'r shareing a folder. These accounts might need a password (depends on your share settings).

If you add new accounts to the sharing computer you might want to hide these from the Welcome Screen.

If this does not help: go to https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl (or your preferred search engine) and type in "sharing folders in windows" or any error message you'r facing.