Can't transfer data from external hard drive

Solved/Closed
adamk1 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2013 - Sep 8, 2013 at 07:18 AM
 Peter - Aug 18, 2022 at 06:01 AM
Hi,

I recently started having problems with my external hard drive (Seagate Expansion 1TB), after 2-3 years of flawless performance. It started off having really slow copy speeds (kept dropping to around 3kb/sec), but my computer could read it and can show me what's on the drive (folders, files etc) however, I could not open them, copy them to the fixed hard drive or copy anything to the external hard drive. Now I plug it in and my computer has a bit of trouble reading what's on the disk, and when it can read it, there are some folders I can't even open (see error message below).

I get different error messages from both opening and copying files. For opening files/folders, I get:
---

E:\PC Backups is not accessible.

The request could not be performed of an I/O error.

---

Whilst for a copy/paste job, I get:
---

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying this file

Error 0x8007085D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

---

I've gone into a couple of PC shops where they told me that they had never encountered this problem before, but might be caused by a bit of dust getting on the disk itself and would suggest buying a new hard drive. I have also had a look at what error 0x8007085D is and it seems that it's a simple disk read error (most commonly due to smudged discs, according to the forums I've seen). I don't mind having to buy a new external hard drive, but I don't want to lose 600GB-worth of backups and important files I need.

Any ideas as to what could I do?

Many thanks

Adam
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Sep 8, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Please try this:

This type issue could be caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and hard disk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

Download UsbFix (created by El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

USB Fix

If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
Plug in your usb devices (Flash drive, pen drive. External HD etc...) don't open them.
Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

Click on deletion
Let the tool work.

Ambucias
Moderator/virus security contributor

At the end of the scan a report will show which you can copy and paste here..

The report is save at the root ( C:\UsbFix.txt ).

You can also vaccinate against any virus.
this is really good software it repair my hard disk effectively.. thanks man
i have browsed the above page,but unable to get the exe. can you pls share it.