W530 Won't Shut Down and Only Restarts!

Closed
Courtney B - Dec 16, 2014 at 03:49 AM
Hello,

I have a thinkpad w530 running windows 7 64. The issue started last week and I have no idea what started it. What's happening is that when I attempt to shut down my laptop, it shuts down and then immediately restarts. If I remove the power cord the battery is fine but the same thing happens when I shut down, it immediately restarts. If I remove the battery with the power cord plugged in, same thing.

Now here's where things get interesting. If I remove the power cord, shut down the laptop and as soon as it begins to restart hit the power button on the laptop, it turns off, however, it will not turn back on.....but as soon as I plug in the power cord, it automatically turns on and starts up without having to hit the power button.

I tried unplugging the power cord and removing the battery then holding down the power button for at least 60 seconds, that didn't help.

I have tried the regedit solution of changing the PowerdownAfterShutdown to a 1 or 0 but that didn't work.

I tried updating the bios, changing the power management in bios and none of that worked.

I recently had Microsoft update which updated/added a bunch of files so I uninstalled all of them, that didn't work.

I checked to make sure that the shutdown/properties Power button action was set to shutdown and it is.

I ran the computer in safe mode to see if that would allow me to shut down, didn't work.

I checked all of my computers power settings to see if any of those might have been creating the issue but I didn't see anything amiss.

I have no idea what to do and could really use some assistance with this. I am baffled :-)

Any help is always appreciated! Thanks!

Courtney