[Closed]
Registration date
Tuesday July 14, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 14, 2015
-
Hello.

This is my first time actually posting on this site but definitely not my first time coming here and reading other threads on how to fix my issue. To provide some background on my problem, it was several months ago that I was curious in customization of Windows themes and, to make a long story short, I installed a theme from Deviant Art that probably might have changed explorer.exe. Well, the issue that I face is every time I do turn on and log into my laptop, after the login page, I see a black desktop with no icons and just a mouse cursor. An error comes up, saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000ba). Click OK to close the application."

I manually try to start explorer.exe but there are days when it will simply hang and I'll watch it slowly begin taking up memory to start itself up then it just disappears or sometimes if I'm lucky my explorer will actually work and things will be just as fine. I'm not sure why that is. I've done the /sfc scannow command prompt method and that has not worked. I've looked into my registry and into the Shell folder to make sure it said "explorer.exe" (without quotation) and still nothing.

Since I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, no Windows 7 installation/repair disc came with it and because this is a problem that has persisted for far too long (I installed programs for school that helped when explorer.exe was working but now that it's not, I can't really get into those programs.), I don't have a system restore point that was before I messed things up.

I'm really not sure how to go about this predicament. I am hoping to avoid the factory reset option as that in itself is a pain with Toshiba laptops. Just trying to get some years (hopefully) left outta my old laptop and not lose my files before I move on to something else.