sam - May 28, 2008 at 09:57 AM
 Bart Tengonciang - Oct 22, 2010 at 02:11 AM
Hello,
I removed Norton with add/remove programs when it asked to restart computer
all desk top set up lost cannot start anything
even safe mode start gets nowhere just a dark screen
Related:

3 responses

I have lost all the desk top icons & small set up icons at bottom of the screen please help me recover them
Thanking You
REG
thanks for the kind information. I've reopened the icons on desktop. following by your information. thank u very much. this web is really use full.
same here did you get it sorted out ?
SAme here its so anoyying!!! My desktop icons cant show up either does my backround onlything that does is my control panel when i log on.
I had the same disappearing Desktop icons and folders that drove me crazy over several hours. Finally it wasn't a trojan or spyware. Below Microsoft XP support article solved my problem. (mine occured after a graphics card update, program uninstalls and a registery clean-tweak)

Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP

Article ID: 330170 - Last Review: February 1, 2007 - Revision: 1.4
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/330170

SYMPTOMS

All the icons may be missing from your desktop. However, if you open your Desktop folder in Windows Explorer, you can see your desktop icons in that window.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs if the Show Desktop Icons feature is turned off.

If you upgrade a previous version of Windows to Windows XP, and Show Desktop Icons was turned off in the previous Windows version, this setting is maintained, and user icons appear to be missing from the desktop. The Show Desktop Icons setting is ignored in previous versions of Windows if Active Desktop is turned off. In Windows XP, Active Desktop is always turned on and cannot be disabled.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, SIMPLY turn on the Show Desktop Icons feature:

1. Right-click the desktop.
2. Point to Arrange Icons By.
3. Click Show Desktop Icons.
Thanks!
jake please install my disconnected icons .And bottom desk icons.
Bart Tengonciang
Oct 22, 2010 at 02:11 AM
I enountered the same problem after I use remote desktop to my PC. All the default program shortcut on desktop was in default icon (including folders).

What I did was I play around with the Display in Display Properties (right click Desktop--> Properties-->Settings). Then it all went back... :D