Sony vaio wont boot, screen stays off

Solved/Closed
Kdot456 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2016 - Feb 27, 2016 at 08:56 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Hi,

My sony vaio laptop wont turn on all of a sudden. It was working fine yesterday, but it wouldnt come out of sleep mode and when I choked it it wouldnt boot up anymore either.

When I press the power button the fan starts running but then shuts down again after a few seconds. The yellow power light does turn on but the other lights by the power button itself do not light up.
The screen stays off, not on-but-black, completely off.

The power button also wont turn it off after I 'booted' it to this unresponsive state. I can only turn it off by removing the battery. When I hold the power button to turn it off it lights up the orange charging light.

Tried putting a recovery disk and usb in but the drive starts spinning but then stops too.

Please help me.

Thanks

Edit: Now it started making a sequence of beeps when I try to start, with the same success. The pattern is 3 long beeps and two short faster ones.
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Hi Kdot456.

The beep code you describe is usually a memory problem. One (or more) sticks could have become unseated (which is unusual) or maybe the connection between the memory stick and the socket has a touch of corrosion (more common in older machines), or most likely a memory stick has failed.

Try removing the battery and charger, and remove all of the memory. Now replace one stick of memory (making sure it is seated properly). Replace the battery and try to boot the machine. If it works switch off, remove the battery and replace the next memory stick. Keep doing this until either you fine the stick with the fault or have them all replaced.

If this process doesnt work with the first memory stick then remove it and install another stick. Continue as described above. Finally, add the first stick again into the vacant slot. If it fails again, then you have a bad memory stick and it should be discarded.

As long as you have the minimum memory for your operating system, then your machine should run fine (perhaps a bit slower), but should be ok until you can get another stick to replace the faulty one.

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues   :o)
Kdot456 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2016
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM
You appear to have solved it for me Brian thank you :)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Great news Kdot,

Glad to be of help.