[Closed]
Registration date
Monday September 5, 2016
Status
Last seen
September 5, 2016
-
Hello all,

I have a used Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050 that has worked perfectly for over a year. About three weeks ago, I closed it without turning it off (which I often do) and a few hours later, I returned to it to continue what I was doing. When I opened it up, all of the lights were on and I could hear the fan running, but the screen was completely black. This wasn't the 'black screen of death', mind you, because I couldn't see the mouse. I scoured all the forums I could find and used countless keywords to try to find a solution and nothing worked. From what I could tell, no one else has had this issue. I'm sure someone has, but I couldn't find a solution.

Frustrated, I unplugged my Toshiba and left it alone for a week. Then, in a last-ditch attempt, I plugged it up and turned it on before I took it to a repair place. It started up and the screen displayed that it was using startup repair, and about thirty minutes later it was back to normal.

Yesterday, however, I restarted it because my art program was being a bit laggy. When I turned it on, I was greeted with a black screen, despite the lights on and fan running. Startup repair hasn't volunteered to fix the issue yet. Obviously, the issue is probably something that I'll have to get fixed by a professional, but at the moment I just need a way to get startup repair to work. Is there some sort of command that could start startup repair?

I only have one inkling of what the issue could possibly be and I don't think it's very likely. Ever since I got the laptop, it has had a terrible battery. The previous owner must have left it plugged up almost constantly because it won't hold a charge for an hour when it's unplugged. I subsequently have to leave it plugged up the entire time I use it because I haven't gotten around to replacing the battery. Is it possible that the battery has reached the point in which it can hardly keep the screen running?

Thank you for reading through this lengthy question- I apologize for that! I really hope that someone here can help me out!