Leave a comment

Facebook Bug Unblocked 800,000 Users

PaulRubens - July 3, 2018 - 04:53 AM
Facebook Bug Unblocked 800,000 Users
Blocked Facebook users were free to harass and bully their victims for a week after a bug unblocked them.

(CCM) — Facebook has admitted that a bug introduced into its social media platform resulted in the unblocking of hundreds of thousands of people that users had previously blocked from having any contact with them. As a result, people who should have been blocked were able to view some of their posts, and even contact them directly using Facebook Messenger, between May 29 and June 5, 2018.


Over 800,000 Facebook users were affected by the bug, and of these about 83% had one person that they had previously blocked unblocked by the bug, and the remaining 17% had two or more previously blocked people unblocked.

Facebook has not said how many unblocked people took advantage of the bug to make unwelcome contact with the people who had blocked them.

Erin Egan, Facebook's chief privacy officer, acknowledged that users may block people for serious reasons such as to prevent harassment or bullying, and said that the bug has now been fixed so everyone who was previously blocked is now blocked again.

"We know that the ability to block someone is important — and we’d like to apologize and explain what happened," he said. "People who were affected will get a notification on Facebook encouraging them to check their blocked list," he added.

Image: © Alexander Kirch - Shutterstock.com
Add comment

Comments