Leave a comment

Google Scraps Google+ Social Network

PaulRubens - October 9, 2018 - 10:09 AM
Google Scraps Google+ Social Network
Low adoption and flawed software were the causes of the demise of Google+.

(CCM) — Google has finally abandoned Google+, its unsuccessful attempt to take on Facebook with a rival social network.


Google+ was launched in 2011 to great fanfare, but its offering was confusing to many consumers and it failed to gain enough users to reach a critical mass. "It has not achieved broad consumer or developer adoption, and has seen limited user interaction with apps," Ben Smith, Google's vice president of engineering, admitted in a blog post.

Google had been considering closing Google+ down for some time, and the final straw appears to have been the revelation that a bug in its software has led to information that users believed was private being revealed to third parties. Up to half a million Google+ users have been affected by this bug.

Google reportedly knew about the bug in March 2018, but said in a statement that it did not consider the issue serious enough to warrant making it public.

"Our Privacy and Data Protection Office reviewed this issue, looking at the type of data involved, whether we could accurately identify the users to inform, whether there was any evidence of misuse, and whether there were any actions a developer or user could take in response. None of these thresholds were met here," the company said in a statement.

However, Google will continue to offer its private Google+ social network software to companies that are already using the product.

Image: © Denis-Linine - Shutterstock.com
Add comment

Comments

Respond to Anonymous User