A virus has infected your flash drive and changed the names of your files to shortcuts. It becomes difficult to view files even after the virus is eradicated in this condition. Luckily, we will explain step-by-step how to address this issue in a few simple steps.
To fix files on flash drive changed to shortcuts:
Check if the files of the USB are not in hidden mode.
- Connect your USB stick, pendrive, or memory card to your PC
- Download Autorun Exterminator
- Extract and double-click on "AutorunExterminator" to launch it (It works in the background so you will see a cross icon in the notification bar)
Now we can start the repairing process:
- Click on the Windows icon on your desktop and type "cmd" in the search bar, and press enter
- Once the command prompt is opened, enter the command (if your drive is named G:, adapt otherwise):
- attrib G:\*.* /d /s -h -r -s
- Now check for your files on the USB stick, pendrive, or memory card
- Download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, update it, perform a "Full Scan", and select the drive you want to scan