Nero says cd/dvd drives are in use by another application.

Closed
richiewaza Posts 9 Registration date Tuesday February 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2014 - Feb 25, 2014 at 05:13 PM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Hello, I'm Running old windows XP pro w SP3 and have 2 dvd/cd drives . I have tried quite a bit of the fixes spoken about. the latest took 25 steps ! Including uninstalling nero and inCD and reinstalling - yes I've done the restart bit . If I could just find out what application is using the drives I could probably do something about it . Task manager ( there is no imapi.exe here) and says everything ok, device manager the same , even windows media says ok and will burn a CD. but Nero12 says they are in use and red X's them - any suggestions ? And yes, the drives are fairly new and clean.

Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 25, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Hello

Two solutions that I would certainly try.

Totally uninstall Nero and run CCleaner which you can find in our download section. (Yes, it's free and worthy to keep) When you install CCleaner, uncheck the option for installing Chrome.

Reinstall Nero and see.

If you still get the same error, for the second solution, I will make you linger for lake of time. Come back here and I will detail it for you. I will give you a hint now "msconfig" "start".

Best regards
richiewaza Posts 9 Registration date Tuesday February 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2014
Feb 26, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Thank you for replying, Ambucias:.
#1 . yes, I've tried the uninstall (via the control panel in windows), clean the registry, and clean reinstall(install). I also did a (nero small app) delete product codes and the "update product codes" thing ... ng !
the other day I did a 25 step process to right the problem [included restarts and deleting drivers and drives] - but no luck - however, without nero I was able to change the optical drive letter designations {humn-nm-mm-mm?}
#2. I also have gone into MSCONFIG and made sure no Nero apps were running at startup , this includes INCD.
#3 I have also tried taking/disconnecting drives , etc! and then reconnectng them.
same results - I even thought I had inserted the calbes in the wrong slots , but no, I was correct.
I know its in the software somewhere - but being out of practice/ and partially out of mind and constantly distracted .....I cannot find whats causing this - today, if I find the time!!! ,,, I have to go into the nero forums and see if others have had the same issue - But, I just get the feeling that the nero techs will say its MS.....yeah, and MS will say its the nero - In my memory, I think i've been through this before - but i know i 'gotta' be missing something - I appreciate the help.
regards.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 26, 2014 at 04:35 PM
Hello

That's just it, in MSConfig, start tab, ensure that Nero does not run on start-up and any other applications related to it.

As a matter of a fact, run this tool:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
richiewaza Posts 9 Registration date Tuesday February 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2014
Feb 27, 2014 at 09:20 AM
thanks , but as you know , i've done that - oh, the tool --- nice, it tells you what each item does ( I like that) . I still tryingto figure out what others apps would be directly related to Nero , besides INCD>
Regards & thanks again.
{nooo , problem not solved, yet ...but I'm working on it - but then again , been doing that for quite a while now }
Mar 7, 2014 at 08:42 AM
see my latest post - waiting for word from nero Techs.....yeah, right !
Mar 7, 2014 at 08:41 AM
ok - for anyone who opens this - I've tried every trick I know of , even investigated java's VM - ng ! Finally sent stuff over to Nero's Techs and we will wait and see what they say - pls remember , I've had this app for over a year now and can't use it - sooo I've played with it - will let everyone know when i get some more info..... for us in love w Nero - see ya on their forum. regards.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Mar 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Hello,

do you have Roxio installed on your computer?

if so, uninstall it.

Also, have you got any virtual drives? such as Daemon tools?