Black screen, white flashing underscort. HALP

Closed
Eric - Jan 17, 2012 at 06:41 PM
 Eric - Jan 20, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Hi guys, here's my problem. So yesterday I exited MW3 normally, turned off my computer and went to sleep. I wake up and turn on the computer, and to my dismay, it wouldn't properly turn on. What it does is that it boots past the Dell logo, and the screen goes black and a white flashing underscort ( _ ) appears. It won't go past this regardless of how much I try. Please help! This thing is expensive! Also my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.20 Ghz.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Can you run the Dell diagnostics? Try F11 right after the Dell logo displays. I suspect your hard drive has failed.

Good Luck
Ok so the problem has worsened and now it doesn't even boot up. I turn in on, the fans active, go crazy fast and whir like crazy, and the booting whir noise keeps going, and the screen remains black. The processor light doesn't turn on now. I'm really worried. I haven't removed anything, but I did run a text on the processor by putting my finger on it when it was on to see if it was bot, and it felt pretty normal to me. God I'm worried.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM
It's time to take it to a qualified repair shop and pay for them to diagnose the problem. I'm also worried it may be your motherboard. (a very expensive part to replace)
Are you sure? I removed the RAM and the motherboard beeped like crazy. Also, could having played MW3 at maxed graphics on my 2.2 Ghz processor and NVIDIA GeForce 9500?