If you want to restore messages that you have deleted, WhatsApp saves messages that you can recover within a week. There are also ways of recovering WhatsApp messages from a previous backup that you have made, and even without a backup by using a tool. In this article we will show you how to recover your deleted WhatsApp messages.
How to recover WhatsApp messages from iCloud on iPhone?
To recover your WhatsApp messages from an iCloud backup you will need to first verify that an iCloud backup has been made on your device:
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup
- Here you will be able to see if there is an existing backup. If there is then you can delete and then reinstall WhatsApp.
- Once you have reinstalled the app, open the app. You will need to re-verify your phone number and then follow the prompts to recover your message history.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android?
The procedure for retrieving recent messages is simple: just uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your mobile phone. During the installation process, you will be asked if you want to restore your message history. At this point, choose Restore. After you have chosen to restore the messages, deleted messages will appear in the Chats window. If some messages don't appear, they may be part of an older backup.
Before uninstalling WhatsApp, we recommend that you back up your conversations, and before you start restoring your older messages, keep in mind that your last conversations will be erased during the process. You will only be able to recover messages from backups of the last seven days. Additionally, your cell number, registered in WhatsApp, must be the same one that you had when the backup was made.
- To start the restoring process, copy the contents of the WhatsApp/Database folder, located in the internal or external memory of your device, to a folder on your PC. Then, uninstall WhatsApp.
- Open the folder where you copied the files (on your PC), and delete the file msgstore.db.crypt7 or msgstore.db.crypt8. Once you have done this, choose the backup that you want to restore and rename it. msgstore-Year-Month-Day.1.db.crypt7 should become msgstore.db.crypt7, and msgstore-Year-Month-Day.1.db.crypt8 should become msgstore.db.crypt8.
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your device, but don't open it. Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable. Copy the file that you renamed on your PC to the WhatsApp/Database folder on your device. (If the folder is empty, you simply paste it. If a file with the same name exists, you will need to replace it.)
- Now, open WhatsApp, and choose Restore when the message restoration window appears
- When you see the number of messages retrieved, click Continue.
Is it possible to recover WhatsApp messages without a backup?
If you want to recover WhatsApp messages without having previously made a backup, then you will need to use a third part tool such as MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS or Android.
- You need to download and install MiniTool Recovery for iOS or Android, depending on your mobile device, onto your PC.
- Connect your phone to the computer and then open MiniTool Recovery.
- You will be prompted to perform a scan. Once completed you then want to select WhatsApp from the list of data. This should then show your WhatsApp messages, even those that have been deleted.
- Now simply search for and select the messages that you want to restore and select restore.
Can you see deleted messages that were sent to you?
There are a number of apps that claim to be able to show you deleted messages that were sent to you. For example, someone sent you a message, and then deleted it, leaving the message of "this message was deleted". It doesn't appear that there is a legitimate way to read these messages. Most of the apps require you to give them access to your device in order to access your WhatsApp data, and you are best not giving a third party access to your system.
Need more help with WhatsApp? Look at our forum!
- How to restore whatsapp messages without backup
- How to recover whatsapp chat without backup
- How to restore deleted whatsapp messages without backup
- Is there a way to retrieve deleted Whatsapp messages without reinstalling? > Forum - WhatsApp
- Transfer WhatsApp messages: to new phone, android to iPhone > Guide
- How to move WhatsApp from my old android phone to new iphone > Forum - WhatsApp
- Problem in restoring backup from Google drive > Forum - WhatsApp
- Uninstall and Reinstall without backup > Forum - WhatsApp
- How to appear offline on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android, web
- Change WhatsApp date and time: Android, iOS, Windows phone
- Transfer WhatsApp Stickers: to Telegram, Android, iPhone
- Get the WhatsApp verification code: online, by email, mobile
- Listen to WhatsApp audio without sender knowing: iPhone, app
- How to fix contacts not showing up WhatsApp: android, iPhone
- How many types of WhatsApp are there?
- Group video call on WhatsApp: desktop, web, iPhone
- Deactivate a WhatsApp account: without phone, temporarily
- How to disconnect WhatsApp from Google Drive
- How to turn off WhatsApp Web notifications
- Refresh WhatsApp contacts: iPhone, Android, Samsung
- WhatsApp voice changer: app, iPhone, male to female
- How to delete WhatsApp contact: not in address book, iPhone
- How to customize LED notifications on WhatsApp
- How to create WhatsApp contact shortcut: iPhone, Android
- Use WhatsApp with two numbers: iPhone, Android, same phone
- Create WhatsApp link: with message, with name, for group
- How to use enter to send messages on WhatsApp
- How to know if someone is spying on your WhatsApp
- How to forward messages on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- Blocked on WhatsApp: how to know, status, last seen, ticks
- How to download and send files on WhatsApp
- How to view all shared media on WhatsApp
- WhatsApp supported phone list: 2021, Blackberry, Nokia
- How to message yourself on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to create Memoji WhatsApp: iPhone, Android, stickers
- How to recover a banned WhatsApp account
- How to delete WhatsApp account: permanently, without phone
- How to see starred messages in WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- Send photos WhatsApp: iPhone, without compressing, Android
- How to block contacts on WhatsApp: iPhone, permanently
- Hide WhatsApp conversation: Android, iPhone
- Create stickers for WhatsApp: online, iPhone, on PC
- How to reduce data usage on WhatsApp: video call, on iPhone
- Turn off WhatsApp notifications: for one group, sound
- How to delete WhatsApp messages: for everyone, permanently
- WhatsApp desktop app: video call, Mac, Windows
- WhatsApp vs Telegram: users, features, privacy
- Everything you need to know about WhatsApp message bombs
- Create a WhatsApp chatbot: for business, for website, free
- How to backup WhatsApp chat: Android, to iPhone, to PC
- How to get a WhatsApp QR code on mobile
- How to reduce WhatsApp storage: Android, iPhone, data
- How to transfer messages from WhatsApp to Telegram
- How to Schedule messages on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to protect WhatsApp: with Password, with Fingerprint
- The best alternative to WhatsApp: 2021, privacy, video call
- How to change WhatsApp privacy settings: iPhone, Android
- Change WhatsApp background: iPhone, color, for one contact
- How to send large files with WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to send a message to an unsaved number on WhatsApp
- WhatsApp's new policy 2021: safe or not?
- How to share location on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- Stop WhatsApp saving photos: iPhone, iOS, Android, Samsung
- How to turn on dark mode in WhatsApp: iOS, iPhone, Android
- How to change WhatsApp group privacy settings
- How to enable on disappearing messages on WhatsApp