Unexpected shutdown

Closed
JustASouthernSergal - Updated on Jan 21, 2019 at 10:14 AM
 justasouthernsergal - Jan 21, 2019 at 04:29 AM
Hello,

I have the same issue happened with my PC, while I was playing Warframe. Just after about 15-20 minutes of gameplay, the PC shuts down by itself.

There were no errors or bluescreen. Just a "Shutting down" screen.

At first, I assumed that it was overheating, then I checked the temperatures of both my CPU and GPU, and they're both fine.

Then my another guess is my old hard drive which is about to die, showing signs by making tick noises and I disconnected it. Still the problem didn't go away.

Now I went over here, and I read that it was the PSU responsible for the unexpected shutdown. My PSU is old now (maybe 9 years as of now), even though it has 600W of voltage. And I'm trying to confirm if my PSU is the problem or is there any other ways than cleaning the fans and heat sink which is I'll do it immediately.

System Configuration: Android / Chrome 71.0.3578.99

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 18, 2019 at 07:05 PM
forced update? Did it happen around the top of an hour?

Are you on WIN10 and have "Active hours set"?
justasouthernsergal
Jan 20, 2019 at 04:44 AM
It doesn't seem like it is forced updating, otherwise it should be showing that it's "configuring" the OS... Speaking of the update, sometimes when I shut down the PC, the power off options come with the word "Update and..." and I click the Shut Down anyway but the next time I turned it on, it was supposed to showing that it's configuring and updating the OS but it went to users screen all of a sudden..

The shut down happened like randomly, it wasn't on the exact time.

And yes, I'm on W10, but I don't know if I have that Active hours set thing since I'm not seeing it..
justasouthernsergal
Jan 20, 2019 at 07:30 AM
UPDATE: It got worse...

Yesterday, I cleaned everything up including the fans and heat sinks of my PC. It relieved me that it went well and jumped to conclusions that my PC just had a dirt problem even though the dusts are in a teeny-weeny amount.

But then, today, the problem came back. I was not even playing. I turned it back on, checked everything including the temperatures of my CPU and GPU, still they're both fine. After checking (for few seconds) my PC shuts down again.....

I swear, I wanna jump to conclusion that my PSU is too old to function properly right now, but I cba if there are other things that caused it instead of the PSU which is why I have to be very damn sure........
justasouthernsergal
Jan 21, 2019 at 04:29 AM
[UPDATE] Strange...

I brought my PC out to the local computer shop recently for diagnose, to make sure if the PSU is the only source of the problem then replacing it with a new one.

When we set it up running for more than 10 minutes, the PC didn't shut down like it's supposed to. One of the guys even played games with it, but nothing happened.

So... I do really think that my PSU, despite being old, isn't the component that caused the shutdown.

When I looked at the PSU, the power cable connected with is plugged directly to the power outlet instead of AVR/UPS. But I use AVR at home.

I guess, it may be...."power surge"?