DELL XPS 400 PROBLEM

Closed
STINGRAY76 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 10, 2013 - Sep 8, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I am rebuilding a DELL XPS 400 . I installed ONE WD , one terabyte HD . I turned the computer on and I get the error message : keyboard failure , drive 2 not found, serial ATA , SATA -2 . Strike F1 key to continue , F2 key to run set up utility . When I hit either key, nothing happens . The keyboard does work, as I checked it on another computer . There is NO OS in the new HD as yet . Thats what I was trying to do . Do I need to have 2 hard drives , or can I just run with one ? If so, how do I get it to run just the one ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !!
Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 9, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Hi STINGRAY76,

Please refer to page number 30 of the Service Manual and follow the instructions to clear the CMOS Settings. After clearing the CMOS settings try connecting the Keyboard and check if it works. Also check if the Hard Drive related error still appears.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
STINGRAY76 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 10, 2013
Sep 9, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Thanks for the fast reply .
Ok, I tried exactly what the service manual said . Seems like the computer has a bigger problem . It will not turn on if the jumper is on pins 1&2 . Now, I get this :
Keyboard failure
Performing automatic IDC configuration
Drive 0 : Disk Drive
Drive 4 : CD Rom device
Floppy diskette seek failure
Time of day not set - please run set up program
Invalid configuration information - please run set up program
Strike F1 key to continue, F2 key to run set up utility .

Might you have any idea what is wrong now ?
Again, thanks and I'm sorry tp put your brain through this torture !
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 10, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Hi STINGRAY76,

It seems the CMOS jumper (RTCRST) is not reset correctly. Please follow the steps below:

1. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board.
2. Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.
3. Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait approximately five seconds.
4. Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

Following are the explanation for error message you are receiving:

Keyboard failure - A cable or connector may be loose, or the keyboard or keyboard/mouse controller may be faulty.

Diskette drive 0 seek failure - A cable may be loose or the computer configuration information may not match the hardware configuration.

Time-of-day not set - please run the System Setup program - The time or date stored in System Setup does not match the computer clock. Enter System Setup and correct the Date and Time options.

Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program - The computer configuration information does not match the hardware configuration. Enter System Setup and correct the computer configuration information.

It is apparent that most of the errors you are receiving are pertaining to an incompatible hardware installed. We have tried a maximum of 500 GB (7200 RPM) of Hard Drives, 1.44M Floppy Drive and 48X32, CD-RW/DVD Combo with this machine.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
STINGRAY76 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 10, 2013
Sep 10, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Thanks again .
So, what it appears to boil down to is the hard drive is too big for the system to handle . Seems as if I have no choice except to run the 2 small hard drives .
I have done the moving of the jumper, and I have read the error messages in the service manual .
I appreciate the time spent helping out .
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Hi STINGRAY76,

Please keep us updated with the results after changing the hardware. Also, feel free to contact us if you have any further queries.