My computer keeps reboooting

Closed
IKE - Aug 16, 2009 at 02:14 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 17, 2009 at 05:21 PM
Hello DJ Akshay
I have read most your answers and you are the best! This is my situation, I have a Compaq Presario 6450NX. I had it since 2003, never had a problem untill now. It started displaying kind of fun color on screen, then after couple of weeks it keeps on restarting by itself. Sometime it complete the POST process but other times it just keep on rebooting every after 10 -30 seconds. As soon as I plug the power supply cord the computer turns on without even pushing the power button.
This is what I had done so far:
Got a new Power supply, only to find out the old was perfect fine (Tested with SPS Tester)
Got a new 512MB RAM DDR 333MHZ (Kingston), my mother board has bus speed of 266MHZ, and the RAM I got is compatible to 266MHZ- Still the computer keeps on rebooting.
Reset the CMOS/BIOS - After that I was even able to log in, but after that it turned rebooted again.
Remove the RAM and I could hear the continuous peep - does that suggest good MOBO- You mentioned something like that on most your answers.
The CPU fan works fine, I removed the fan to sense the heat, somehow I could not feel it because the heatsick is kind of big and plus you recommanded 5 seconds to run the cpu without a fun.
Why does it turns on just after plugging the power cord?
The keyboard LED turns off for few when I plug the power cord on.
The fan on chasis is working fine
I am looking for your expertise Dj, I have spent 4 days trying to solve this problem.
Please help!!
Someone told me to try to replace the thermal paste of the cpu, does that make sense? coz I did not chang the cpu on this computer.

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 17, 2009 at 05:21 PM
ok, you have a troubled pc to say the least.

the part about the thermal paste is a good idea as after a while the paste looses its properties.
it's a simple task. just pop the cooling assy off the cpu and reapply some paste to the back of the heat sink.

also, you may want to have a close look at your motherboard, check that none of the capacitors have started to bulge or leak.