Aspire One , ethernet connect, no net.

Closed
seabromd - Aug 29, 2009 at 02:00 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 30, 2009 at 06:39 PM
Hello,
I have a Aspire One Netbook that I purchased recently. It connects great to the net via the wireless card and a mobile netstick too. But it can't connect to the net using my work ethernet even though everything seems fine and it says I have an excellent connection.

If it's relevent, my IP address stuff all starts with 172 here (which I thought just meant it was an internal address or something, for security).

Feel free to ask for info/suggest what to check. I'm quite lost. Everything is set to auto, and there's no virus or firewalls up.
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 30, 2009 at 06:39 PM
what you could do is go to another pc and check to see what their network settings are.
then set yours up the same as that. doing it this way tho you have to be careful not to use an ip address that is already used.

once it has connected once, you can then reset your pc to obtain ip automatically. it will then get the correct ip address.

there are other things to consider, so your best bet is contacting your system administrator to see if there are any safeguards in place to prevent any tom dick or harry plugging a pc into the network and gaining access to the company data.