File accessibilty from outside the network

Closed
Migghel Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 30, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2010 - Apr 30, 2010 at 02:45 PM
Migghel Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 30, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2010 - May 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM
HI Titans of Technology!!

I have been giving a task in my office(HO) to enable users from our branch offices to be to access our Windows 2003 Server....
*I have my Public IP ready which was giving to me by our ISP*
*I have 1 network card*
I hereby configured FTP on the Wondows 2003 Server and i was able to access it internally from any PC. That is, with the private static ip that was assigned to it...(Atleast ive been able to show the management that its possible...
Now I want to take to the next level by allowing staffs from the outside world to be able to access files on the windows 2003 server ...
I need help and steps about this...
Thanks for your response...

Related:

1 response

two options my man,

1st is a VPN, if you put a vpn to where the FTP server is located, then they can type the private IP and boom, your in

2nd choice is, make a port forward to your router (gateway) only port 21/20 TCP to your FTP server
then the clients only type your IP that your ISP give you for your HQ
Migghel Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 30, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2010
May 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM
okay thanks man .. but dont you think ill need to register my IP??? and how can i do that? cuz if i was thinking if Option 1 is gonna be the right thing BUT it simply means that i can go to my house, setup a server and put my company IP(giving by the ISP)... is it really safe?? thanks for the earlier suggestion... ill apreciate your next response... Thanks