Virus downloaded, need help to remove.

Solved/Closed
Tara - May 17, 2010 at 05:49 PM
 Tara - May 18, 2010 at 07:44 PM
Hello,

I downloaded a virus yesterday. I ran AVG 3 times in safe mode to make sure everything was caught. AVG is no longer finding any problems but I am still getting the blue screen of death. Task manager, system restore and regedit were all disabled and when I try to run spybot my computer reboots. Any help? Thanks!!!

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
May 17, 2010 at 06:16 PM
Please, we need to know the error message you get on the blue screen, it should start with 0x

Regards
Now it's not coming up...but it said something about the paging file. The system restore is still blocked though.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
May 18, 2010 at 04:34 AM
Tara,

Before you run Combofix, please command prompt and run sfc/scannow, only of that does it not fix the blue screen issue then run combofix.
Ok I ran the sfc/scannow I'm not sure if it did anything or not. The blue screen doesn't seem to be coming up anymore. I still can't run system restore or help and support.
oh and I did not run combofix...should I?
May 18, 2010 at 05:19 PM
When you say that you can run system restore, what do you do to run it? Please explain "help and support"? What is it that you wish to restore in your system?
May 18, 2010 at 04:22 AM
To keep your system safe, you must follow the instructions hereunder to the letter:

1. Download Combofix to your desktop.

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2.Close all open Windows including this one.

Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

3. Double click on the ComboFix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

4. Accept the disclaimer and the recovery

5.You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer.

ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings.

If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

During the process, please do not mouse click nor must you tap on the keyboard. Let the tool run.

Report to me on how your system is behaving.

Good luck

Ambucias