Help with macro to move text between sheets

Closed
Gavin - Nov 18, 2008 at 04:46 PM
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 - Nov 18, 2008 at 08:06 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to write a macro to help me with a repetitive task and running into some trouble. I have two sheets, setup like this -

Sheet 1

ID number | some data | some data | Text

Sheet 2 is exactly the same, only the text is in French, and it has many more entries (about 42k).

The process I'm doing by hand is to copy the ID number field, change to the other sheet, find the ID number, then copy the French text and paste it back into the next column over (column E) so you can see the English and French side by side.

I apologize as I'm very new to macro writing. I tried using the recording feature, but the issue seems to be that it always saves my recording search in the macro as a specific search string. I assume there's some way to declare and fill a variable with a field entry and then use that for search, but I can't figure it out.

If there additionally was a way to loop through every entry in sheet 1 and do this task over and over again, that would be fantastic. I would really appreciate any help! My coding skills never graduated past javascript and I'm very very rusty even with that :)

Thanks!
Gavin
Related:

1 response

rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 18, 2008 at 08:06 PM
Click on the link below for info:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2166145_easily-navigate-excel-spreadsheet.html