Stand by problem

Closed
Treeman Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 7, 2009 - Apr 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM
 Treeman - Apr 8, 2009 at 05:30 AM
Hello, I had to turn off my computer with the power button as the lights on the computer worked but nothing showed on the screen, the computer had two internet windows open and i had left it on like this, for about 3 hours with no one using it, when i came back to continue using it it would not wake up properly and the screen remained blank.
how can i solve this issues without using the powwer button as i am not closeing down the computer properly and may damage it be doing so?
Regards Treeman

the computer is a Inspiron 1525 loaded with vista

1 response

Shemin Paul Posts 4 Registration date Sunday April 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 7, 2009 20
Apr 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM
I had the same problem with Toshiba Pro with XP Pro.

Discovered that, even though Wake Up on LAN option is disabled in BIOS, computer wakes up only when LAN cable is connected. So it was LAN wake up call.

Solution:

Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection icon, Properties, Configure (Adapter on General Tab), Advanced...

find the property that says 'Wake from Shutdown' or similar and set it to Off.

I seems like Adapter Property overrides BIOS setting through APM. One can notice how after shutting down, standby or hibernate LAN connector LED lights are now off and not blinking on traffic like before.

Does it wotk on Vista, I don't know.
Hi Shemin Paul,
Have not been able to connect to internet as do not have internet connection where i live, but have changed battery and mains optons from hibernate, to sleep or do nothing, this apears to have solved the issue, will try your advice when next connected to the net.
this maggage may apear contradictary, but am using community centre internet to contact you.
Thankyou and regards Treeman