Computer won't turn on

Solved/Closed
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015 - Oct 24, 2012 at 03:53 PM
poofdaddy79 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 3, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 3, 2012 - Nov 3, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell Precision 370 desktop tower that won't turn on. When you push the power button it won't do anything. The fans are not spinning, the leds are not burning and nothing happens. The led on the motherboard does burn when the powersupply is connected to the power source. I got this computer from a friend and he said that the computer worked just fine before he gave him to me.

What I already tried:
-I unplugged everything from the motherboard except the fans, the power supply (from PSU and from the button) and the graphical card (couldn't get it off the motherboard)
-I tested the PSU with the paperclip-test and it worked fine
-I tried to power up without using the button (by connecting the pins on CTRL PANEL pin board). I'm not completely sure I did it properly and didn't connect something not needed in between, but I tried to connect every pair of pins with a piece of metal. It didn't turn on.
-I removed the battery on the motherboard and put it in again

I believe I switched all switches on, and that my power source and wiring should be correct and intact.

So my question is: is there a way this could be simply resolved or at least is it possible to localize the problem? Because if it's a faulty CPU or motherboard, I would like to know that. If it's something else (like faulty graphic card) or unproper connection something the computer might be "saved".

Thank you for your help.

8 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 24, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Hello Scandy,

In my opinion, it's a motherboard failure otherwise your fan would be spinning and you would get an error message on the screen. Motherboards can rarely be repaired with metal pieces.

Regards
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015
Oct 24, 2012 at 04:03 PM
And then it's a motherboard problem or could be also a CPU problem? (And definitly not a graphic card problem, I guess?)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 24, 2012 at 04:20 PM
If it was a graphic card problem you would hear the os jingle, the fan would run and you may get a no signal error message on the screen, even as you say with an onboard graphic card.

The motherboard supports all of your CPU' components as all parts are connected to it even the HD and other hardware.

Your PSU test was successful, I can't see anyting else but the mummy board.

When was the last time your friend used the machine? What happened in between? Was it knocked sometime in storage or move? Was there a power surge? I am just guessing personafying Sherlock Holmes.

Dell is not the most reliable. How old is this machine?
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015
Oct 25, 2012 at 01:52 PM
He said he used it just fine before the transportation, but when the computer arrived it wouldn't turn on any more. Last time would be like two or three days before the event I guess. I'm not sure if it was knocked during the transportation (I wasn't there), but I guess he would've said that if it was something big.

The computer is around 2006 I believe, maybe 2005 or 2007.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 25, 2012 at 03:29 PM
If you cabled it correctly, I still feel that the motherboard is fried.

Sorry
Oct 26, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Pity. But thank you very much for your help.
Kassim123 Posts 1 Registration date Friday October 26, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 26, 2012
Oct 26, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Am suggesting you change the motherboard
poofdaddy79 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 3, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 3, 2012
Nov 3, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Hi Sandy,

It appears to be the power supply. I had the same issue.

- Computer Worked Yesterday, but not today.
- With the power supply plugged in as normal the LED on the motherboard was Green and the power button did nothing. Same result after re-seating everything.
- I used a Power Supply tester, the little handheld one with green/red lights on it. The Power supply tested good and with the P4 connector still on the motherboard it would spin up the big cpu fan on the back of the case.

Just for fun I tested a brand new Power supply....... Now i'm back in action!

good luck. =-)