Stuck in safe mode loop

Closed
cj91967 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2014 - Sep 21, 2014 at 08:26 PM
jambora Posts 4 Registration date Sunday September 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2014 - Sep 21, 2014 at 09:08 PM
My cousin called me today with a pc issue that I myself have never encountered. I set the pc up for her in May of this year when she moved, put Avast, CCleaner and Malwarebytes on it and showed her how to use all of them. Pc was running fine then.
She explained to me that when she lets her son use the desktop, he never shuts it down properly, just pushes the power button and walks away. She went to use it today, it went right into the safe mode screen as soon as she turned it on, problem is ... any option she chooses... the screen will blank out for a second, then turns blue and puts the pc right back onto the safe mode option screen.
Is there any way to get the pc out of this endless loop? Is it possible that the hard drive is corrupted? Or could this be a motherboard issue?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 21, 2014 at 09:04 PM
I suggest you try the procedure detailed at this site:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221598/stuck-in-safe-mode-windows-xp/

Good Luck
jambora Posts 4 Registration date Sunday September 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2014
Sep 21, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Blue screen is not good.
Did you make a recovery disk when you set up the PC? You could try using that to start it up.
Another option is to try reinstalling windows.
Put your Windows pogramme CD into the CD drive before turning on the computer. Turn on and the autorun feature should install Windows again. If PC starts again, do a complete virus scan.
Then, when you set up windows, pay close attention to how it shuts down. Depending on which verson of Windows you have, you could set up the power button to just sleep or hibernate instead of powering down, then have the Screen and drive shut down a specified time after sleep/hibernate - say 30 minutes.
Hope this works.