If you are having difficulty starting your PlayStation 3, you may need to start it in recovery mode. This FAQ will show you how to get started and access recovery mode.
What does the recovery mode do?
Recovery mode provides options to restore your PS3 in case of failure or errors:
- The XMB disappears,
- Error due to a mishandling,
- You turned off your Playstation 3 during an update.
As result your console will no longer respond. The recovery mode allows you to fix many issues (both for the normal and slim versions of the PS3).
How to access PlayStation 3 recovery mode?
To access this mode, follow the below procedure:
- Turn off your Playstation 3 (the red LED is still turned on).
- Hold the power button down, to completely turn off your console.
- Keep holding the power button down until you hear a beep followed by 2 consecutive beeps.
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB.
- Press the PS button and the Recovery menu will pop up.
What are the recovery menu options?
- Restart the system: it reboots the console but you will need to reconfigure the audio and video settings.
- Restore the Default settings: During this operation, the default system software will be restored and information about the currently logged user will be deleted.
- Restore the system files: Use this option to fix errors occurring due to corrupted data.
- Rebuild the database: sort and organize the data found on your disk (all games folder will be removed).
- Restore PS3 system: To delete the entire contents of hard disk and restore the default system software.
- System Update: Install the latest PS3 software update.
Can you access recovery mode without a controller?
No, you cannot enter PS3 recovery mode without a PS3 controller.
Any more PlayStation questions? Check out our forum!
- Ps3 recovery mode
- Ps3 safe mode
- Recovery mode ps3
- PS3 Safe Mode > Forum - PS3/PS4
- Ps4 recovery mode > Guide
- PS3 mode not supported: Samsung HDMI, on TV > Guide
- Asus recovery partition: missing, deleted, Windows 10 > Guide
- PS3 not supported [solved] > Forum - PS3/PS4
- PS3 not reading discs: how to fix, after update
- PS4 controller not responding: white light, in game, on pc
- Expand your PS5 storage: internal, external
- Too many USB devices connected PS4: fix the error
- How to turn off sound on PS4 controller
- PSP update: 6.61, firmware, PlayStation
- How to turn off vibration on PS4 controller: on PC, Fortnite
- How to reset PS3 controller: on PC, without reset button
- PS3 can't obtain IP address: PlayStation 3 fix
- How to connect PS4 controller to PS5
- PS3 error codes and solutions
- Link PlayStation 4: to Facebook, to Twitter
- PS4 audio output settings: for headphones
- How to fix a slow PSP
- How to play PlayStation 4 games online
- How to check battery on PlayStation controller: PS4, PS5
- Reset PlayStation 3: display settings HDMI
- How to update PS3 with USB: safe mode
- PS4 auto shutdown: after download, in rest mode
- How to turn off PS4 system sounds
- PS5 console: release date, price, stock
- How long to charge PlayStation controller: PS3, PS4, PS5
- How to turn off notifications on PS4
- How to clear your PS4 browsing history?
- Install Flash Player on Playstation 3: 2021
- How to Play MP4 on a PSP 3000
- How to clear PS3: cache, cookies
- PS4 text to speech: not working
- How to change the language on PSP
- How to buy games on PlayStation store: for free
- How to reset your PlayStation network password?
- Turn off controller vibration: PS3
- How to connect your Playstation 4 to PC
- Find and add friends on PS4: from Facebook, online
- How to connect a BigBen controller to a PS3
- How to disable PS4 share play
- Switch from HDMI to SCART: PlayStation 3
- How to clear your browsing history on PS3?
- Obtain an IP address on the PS3
- How to delete cookies on PlayStation 4
- PlayStation 4: tips and tricks
- PS Now vs PS Plus
- How to add the accessibility menu to Quick Menu on PS4?
- How to save battery life on PS4 controller