HP having BIOS error, need help with BIOS install

Closed
Inky - Oct 31, 2015 at 06:00 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 2, 2015 at 07:00 PM
Hello!

My friend stupidly bought laptop without turning it on and guess what? He was tricked into buying a non-working HP (Presario CQ61-320EN) laptop so I have to fix it for him.

When I turn on, laptop screen is black and fan is working and lights are blinking 2 times and after 3 sec again 2 times etc in a loop, which by the blink code is a BIOS problem.

I've tried draining power with removing battery and 30sec pressing power button as well as removing the CMOS battery. Cleaned the dust and changed thermal paste and other solutions offered by people with the same issue and none of them worked.

So I downloaded BIOS for this computer from HP website, but when I try to run the BIOS from USB stick, I see lights on the usb stick meaning it's in use by computer, at the same time I get 3-8 beeps (depending on files I have on the stick) from the computer and right after the beeps, the computer shuts down. Just shuts down :(

How I did things:
1) Downloaded the BIOS .exe file from HP
2) Copied it on USB (currently FAT32) stick
3) After draining power, attached the USB, powered on computer and pressed windows + B.
4) Got the beeps and computer shutting down immediately after the beeps.

Am I doing something wrong? Can the computer still be fixed? Any advice in fixing?
I really hope someone can help me, I'd be grateful.

P.S.
The previous owner sold the laptop without the HDD so I put one I had spare, dunno if that changes anything, as beeps and shutting down is the same with and without HDD.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 2, 2015 at 07:00 PM
The only way to restore most computers with a BIOS error is to physically replace the the BIOS chip with a new chip that has the correct BIOS installed. It's possible that the BIOS chip can not be removed from the motherboard. I suggest you contact HP to see if they offer BIOS replacement chips.

Good Luck