Canon PowerShot S1 IS

Closed
Hunnii - May 18, 2009 at 01:02 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - May 24, 2009 at 09:33 AM
I have a Canon PowerShot S1 IS and I'm not able to upload the pictures on there via USB cord. I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" message:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

I tried reconnecting the camera, yet I still got the same message. I know the problem isn't from the USB cable because I was able to upload pictures from my other camera via that cable. I tried using the cable that came with my camera, but I got the same results. I've installed the program that comes with the camera, thinking that maybe something was wrong with the USB port, but even the program did not detect the camera.

Someone suggested that I insert the CF card directly into CF/ Microdrive of my computer, but I've never done that before and thus wouldn't know how. I read that I need a CF card adapter.. I have no idea what that is. Can someone explain how this whole process works.. unless there's another solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance,
Hunnii
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
May 24, 2009 at 09:33 AM
ok, the issue you are gettin is a common one with XP, I get it all the time.

Have you tried rebooting your PC from cold (shut down, turn off and turn back on again.) this may allow your camera to be picked up again.

Card readers

The following site sells the a selection of the readers that was mentioned by the other poster.

http://www.picstop.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Reader

All a card reader is is a device that conects to your PC via USB. you insert your compact flash card in the reader and the computer sees the card as an external storeage device. you can then access it like any other hard drive. you can then copy your photos from the card to your computer and see that they reach their destination before deleting the cards photos. you can also format the card in the reader like any other device.

The photo software that you use may also recognise the card when connecting and begin to read them into your photo software.

hope this was of help.