How To Stream My Webcam

Closed
abrogard Posts 7 Registration date Monday November 2, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017 - Nov 3, 2017 at 03:57 PM
abrogard Posts 7 Registration date Monday November 2, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017 - Nov 9, 2017 at 05:36 PM
I want to be able to input the URL of my computer and immediately see my webcam.

When I'm away from home. Using it like a security camera.

I thought this would be very easy to do but I've searched the web to and fro on that same search 'stream webcam' and the answers I get don't fit what i want.

Some apply to IP cams which come with their own IP addresses. A standard 'dumb' webcam doesn't and it is one of those I'm talking about.

Some refer to online third party setups. I don't want one of those.

Some refer to software which must run at this end and also at that end - just like having Skype at both ends. I don't want that either.

I have a fixed IP for my computer. So I don't need explanations for how to provide that, I've already got it.

This feature I once had, years ago. I think I had it with Yawcam. I think it was standard with it. But Yawcam won't install and run on my computer now and I haven't been able to fix the problem.

So... that's why I'm here... any help?
Related:

10 responses

What OS are you using?

YOU are funnny! I love statements like this:
I want to be able to input the URL of my computer and immediately see my webcam. 

Ok, so go ahead and turn on IIS! You do have IIS enabled right? IIS will allow your station to become a website. Now, point that IIS controller to a virtual directory, that is running a java app server, that is connected to the webcam! It really is that simple!

BTW, you will need a NAT, and a firewall! NAT is for the INTERNAL network translation. In other words, the fixed IP on you computer is OUTWARD facing, but your PC really has an unroutable IP address, and the internet will not know what to do with that IP address once you have placed it into a browser that is on the internet. The NAT will translate your 34.54.23.12 address into a address like 192.168.1.1.

Or, get a third party app. Or get a a webcam with DVR, and publish it! The WEbcam DVR is SO SIMPLE to deploy, just takes capital cost for hardware.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney