Total security VIRUS... cant do ANYTHING

Solved/Closed
jazz00 Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2009 - Aug 14, 2009 at 09:15 PM
 Xaeox - May 20, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Hello,
having a problem with a friends computer.. got total security virus and now cant do anything.. downloaded malwarebytes at an earlier date re named and installed it won run.. cant run task manager get a msg saying "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" , cant run regedit, cant do system restore cant start in safe mode cant copy files to cd to back up cant connect to internet.... HELP PLZZZZ
Related:

30 responses

nothing is working for me >< I cant find a 8digit forder or anything at all anything else I can try?
I have try everything and nothing seems to work I cant find anything cant download run or even open anything on my pc add/remove programs wont open, nothing seems to work but at the same time I dont see any weird folder anywhere ; ; if someone have any idea what I can do pls post it I been on this nightmare 19days :(
Mary Louise Bell
Feb 20, 2010 at 01:05 PM
If a 67year old Illiterate Computer Dummie like myself can do it anyone can.
Just follow the instructions below:

Go into safe mode
Go to files and folders
find the Restore system folder.
Allow the 'restore system' to back date and restore your computer to a day before the virus entered.

I can't believe I did it.......just saved myself $240.00.
FIXEDIT Posts 1 Registration date Monday February 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2010
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM
2 FIXES:
1-2010 (Fix #1) & 2-21-2010 (Most Updated WORST Trojan - Fix #2)

1-2010 (Fix #1)
I experienced this *TROJAN* on my computer a month ago, when I fell for one of those little fake PoP uP windows stating, blah,blah,blah ...
'your computer security is threatened, do you want to update your anti-virus software now'?

I was able to get rid of it, by going into *SAFE MODE* (by pressing f8 f8 f8 rapidly upon rebooting) & installing & running Malwarebytes, (which I previously was able to have someone email to me, by 1st renaming the 'mbam.exe' file, to 'mom.jpg', & then once I received it, I renamed it again, to mom.exe ... still mildly hiding it from the Trojan).

2-21-2010 (Most Updated WORST Trojan - Fix #2)
This time, I have no idea how I re-got this HIDEOUS NASTIER *UPDATED TROJAN* ... it just seemed to 'get me' from out of no where! It was WORSE than before ... very updated ... locked up most everything; all .exe programs, including notepad, wordpad, etc., locked up Safe Mode, locked up task manager, locked all downloads & any web pages to do with downloading malware killer softwares, etc..
Basically all I could do was, back up some files, email via Mozilla Firefox, & open Windows Explorer & *Change File Names*.
I spent approximately 16+ hours reading various blogs, etc. & trying to figure out a solution & none of the suggestions seemed to work solely in themselves, but a couple of combined blogs helped me to figure out what needed to be done, to KILL this Trojan in my Vista computer!

SOLUTION - FIX (2-21-2010):
[VISTA computer]
1). Empty Recycle Bin (which acted real hesitant, but eventually did empty).
2). Opened: Windows Explorer
3). Opened: Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Advanced settings: > Checked: SHOW hidden files and folders > Click: OK.
4). Went to: Users > My Own 'User Name' > AppData > Local > Temp.
5). Added the 'Sort Category' of 'Date Created' (right click next to 'Name Category', scroll down to 'More' & scroll & select 'Date Created', & click OK).
6). Sorted & brought all files created 'TODAY' to top of the list.
7). Changed the names of the 15 'Created Today' Files by adding xxxxx_______.__ to the beginning of each of their names, ... & kept their original names/extensions in there also, in case I needed to put the files back later, due to deleting anything I shouldn't have. [NOTE: None of the file names were solely Numerical ... all had mainly alphabetical names ... SORRY, I did not note the exact names].
8). Within 10 minutes, it was noticeable that the Trojan had been mainly disabled.
9). I went back & DELETED the 15 Renamed Files (see: #7).
10). Shortly after, my Anti-Virus Program kicked in & found 3 additional Trojan Files & asked me if I wanted to delete them permanently, explaining that doing so 'might' cause my system to 'crash'. I opted to go for it & chose, 'yes do delete'. It then found 2 more files & again, I chose 'yes do delete'. Then found one more in the recycle bin, & again I opted 'yes do delete permanently'.
11). I was now able to completely run Malwarebytes & then my Anti-Virus scan & *NO MORE* Trojan Files were found. ALL *FIXED*! YEAH!!!

Special Thank You to: varjibedian & SiLeNCeR!!! (12 year olds are GREAT!)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
can't do anything
Reformat.
I cleared this rogue piece of shit. Download Malwarebytes (FREE and great). Google it.
Works great. Also, when virus is running, go to Control-Alt_Delete. That will bring up TASK MANAGER. Find "Vista Total Security" running on the list, and go to "processes tab". Left click and when you see a file with a lot of numbers THAT is the virus. Click on it to show you where the file resides. Then DELETE it, and delete it again in RECYCLE Bin. You may have to delete it many times for it to go. It might say "you don't have permission". Keep doing it, and it will go. I killed the F__ker. SpyHunter has a new Securiy suite that is great. I just updated my SpyHunter for free. Worth it. They have good support and help you.
Hi guys

[Update] I followed the other people's advice, and deleted the Temp files that were associated with when the problem started, and then...

Well I just finished battling with this thing, and my best bet is that if any of you can open Task manager, go to the processes tab.

For me, the virus was listed as ave.exe and if you right click it, a window comes up saying 'End Process Tree'

I've done that, and services have been resumed. However, when I need to open up a programme atm, I'm having to right click and 'Run as Administrator' first.

I'm currently in the process of installing AVG software, and hopefully if there is any of the virus remaining, it should track it down and eliminate it.

Will report back soon
i have encountered this security lock just recently nothing on this site would work for me I was just going to give up,

this is what worked for me hold ctrl, alt, del like you normally would but keep it pressed down this would give you about 25 taskmangers and a box should come up saying it is infected ask you to buy the software with the 2 boxes yes or no hit neither and it will stay on the task manager then it should let you use the internet I had mozilla firefox go to google download spybot its a very good free virus melware fighter download it install it and hit search and destroy once open do a full scan and it takes a bit but it finds everything right in your registry once completed hit fix problems and it might look like on your tab in the lower right hand corner its still there but its gone move your mouse over the symbol that is that security virus it should just disappear then hit that box I was talking about earlier with the yes or no answer and say no that should get your system back to normal it worked for me
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
May 4, 2010 at 05:01 PM
Wow Iroc-z

Congratulations for the cybernetic gymnastics. I am glad you got rid of the beast and thank you for sharing your adventure and solution with the Community.

Best regards
Hi,
Not sure if this will help, I have this problem at the moment and none of the removal step-by-steps have the right file names, but I'm lucky enough to be able to get into regedit and task manager. If you can get in to talk manager maybe through safe mode, the process on mine ran as an eight digit random number, so have al ook for one of those, and at leats you can stop the constant barrage of pop ups.