CD/DVD drive behaving strangely

Closed
geoff hayton - Sep 9, 2008 at 08:54 PM
 gh - Sep 14, 2008 at 04:25 PM
Hello,

The drive on my HP Pavillion dv6000 is giving me fits when either ripping, burning, or playing. Upon inserting a CD, be it in iTunes, Winamp, or MediaPlayer, the names of the tracks all display. However, when I attempt to play the CD, or burn its content, or burn a CD of audio from the hard drive, the machine freezes and displays a screenful of diagonal pinstripes.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but any help from anyone would be appreciated.

gracias.

gh
Related:

1 response

stresspc Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 13, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 1
Sep 10, 2008 at 04:06 AM
hey gh,

you tell me that whenever you try to burn a dvd or a vcd the pc will freeze up thats it?

the error may also come from your hard drive unable to give the data in time required by the dvd rom in order to burn it or may be coming from the dvd rom buffer being unable to get the data in time which makes the operation to time out and at last freeze your computer. have you tried sending some information on a pen drive and see how the computer behaves?
Yes, the behavior is isolated to the cd/dvd drive. It's not just when I try to burn, it happens even when I try to read a disk in the drive. Upon inserting a disk, it will correctly list the content, be it song names or the dvd title. But when I try to play it, or burn a disk, I get a screenful of parallel lines and a frozen machine.