BSOD when loading safe mode, normal start ok

Closed
David - Jan 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 18, 2010 at 01:19 PM
Hello,

I was scanning my computer for spyware/malware with Spybot S&D (Two recent problems: wierd popups when using firefox, 2) google searches got redirected). At first Spybot didn't detect anything. I then decided to go into Safe Mode (using the F8 method) and do another scan there. But while Safe Mode was starting
I got the blue screen. I had no problem doing a normal start up - the blue screen only showed up when I tried to get into Safe Mode.

And then I did something really stupid - I got into Windows with normal startup, ran msconfig to open up System Configuration Utility, and changed the boot.ini such that the computer will automatically go to Safe Mode during startup (hoping that somehow things would be different this way). Of course now I couldn't even load up XP, because it kept on trying to go into Safe Mode and just kept on giving me the blue screen.

Could it be some sort of virus/malware that was preventing me from going info Safe Mode? What can I do now in order for Windows to go back to a normal start up?

I'm running XP SP3 with the latest Firefox and McAfee (from Comcast) on a Thinkpad T61p.

Thanks.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 18, 2010 at 01:19 PM
You can do a repair/install if you have the Windows XP Disk. You can find instruction here.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck