Computer off during an XP update

Closed
da_breeze24 - May 4, 2010 at 08:57 AM
TIGERsHAKER Posts 53 Registration date Tuesday May 4, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 15, 2010 - May 5, 2010 at 07:30 AM
My wife turned off our computer while it was doing an XP update. Now it will only open in safe mode. What can I do?
Related:

2 responses

TIGERsHAKER Posts 53 Registration date Tuesday May 4, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 15, 2010 11
May 4, 2010 at 09:32 AM
hello
its good thing it startup in safe boot though
so startup your computer in safe mode
then from Start>Control panel> Automatic upate> and turn it off then reboot and see if it startup in normal mode

also you may do system restore
Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools> System restore >
and pick eariler date when your computer was working fine and after rebooting it should work fine

of both not work for you.. so tell what happens when you startup in normal mode?

try and feedback
good luck
Correction to issue...I was previously informed that there was a Windows update to be installed. I chose not to install it when shutting down my system. My wife got on later and I was under the impression that the update started because she said the computer was slow and seemed to be locked up. So, she turned it off by holding the power button until the system shut down. Tht's when all the problems started.

I noticed when I was attempting to see what files were accessed the day prior to this happening and a bunch of windows files were listed. I "assumed" that the update had started. But, When I went to turn off the Auto Updates, I had seen that I previously turned them off.

I guess I am dealing with a virus. A scan was already done with all issues resolved. But, still not allowing me to run in normal mode. I attempted to run in safe network mode so I could download updated definitions, but the connections are not there.

Can I download the definitions on another computer and transfer them?

When ever I boot up, the Windows screen will show and then it goes back to the black screen which gives the options to open in the different safe modes, go back to previous set up which worked, or normal mode. The only thing that works is safe mode.

As a side note I also restored to two previous dates with no luck.

Any additional information would be appreciated.
TIGERsHAKER Posts 53 Registration date Tuesday May 4, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 15, 2010 11
May 5, 2010 at 07:30 AM
well...
i guess when you restored your system it failed
so depending on all you said its problem of starting up normal mode and should be because of something in startup items like driver or some application
so startup safe mode
then start> run> type Msconfig > startup > and check " Disable all"
and ok
then restart your computer and let it start in normal mode and if it worked.when it finish loading a message will pop up on your desktop put a check and hit ok

try first then we continue ..