Network

Closed
MarkStainback - Jul 5, 2010 at 07:03 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 6, 2010 at 03:34 PM
Hello,

I have just moved into a house that used to be an insurance office. The house is fully wired with LAN cable in every room. Of course that is all that is there. All of the other network stuff is gone. What I want to do is provide internet connection to each one of the bedrooms as well as the room where I am going to have an office. All I see is a bunch of LAN cables. How do I know which one goes where and how do I connect them up. I know I use a router but using this many cables do I need a special router?

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jul 5, 2010 at 07:24 PM
I assume all the wires start at a central point. This is the place you want your modem and router. A professional would have labeled each wire. Look for a tag with a number or letter attached to the wires. They should be labeled at each end. If they are not labeled then you will need to use trial and error to connect them. The light on the NIC card on a desktop and the light on the router/switch will light-up when a connection is made. You can get home routers with 4 or 5 output connections. If you need more that that a "switch" and be added (they are cheap).

This site gives more information on home networks.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-a-network-4097198

Good Luck
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 6, 2010 at 03:34 PM
Hi,

If your router is running out of ports, then you can use a switch connected to

your router.