With the advent of wireless technology, Wi-Fi is increasingly becoming the most preferred method of connection. With a Linksys router one can connect multiple PCs on a single network. Sometimes, however, you may find that can't ping a computer on same network. This issue is usually accompanied by an error message notifying you of a network timeout, in this article we will give a few methods to fix the issue.
How to ping a computer on the same network?
Check the ICMP settings
If you are unable to ping computer on same network, begin by checking the ICMP settings of Windows. To do so, click Start > Run > firewall.cpl > Advanced > Settings. The only option that should be checked is Allow incoming echo request.
Make sure that your changes are saved, and exit the window. You should now be able to ping other PCs on your network.
Note: This method should work for Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 7 and other versions of Windows.
Disable the IPv6
- Select the network icon on your taskbar and choose your network.
- Go to the change adapter options menu.
- Select properties by right clicking on your connection.
- Find the Internet Protocol Version 6 and then disable it.
You may also need to do this on the other computers connected to your network.
Temporarily disable your VPN
VPNs are becoming more common amongst internet users. In this instance, the VPN may be preventing you from being able to ping other computers on your network. You can check if this is the case by disabling your VPN and then trying to ping your computer.
For any other network questions, check out our forum!
- Can't ping computer on same network
- Unable to ping computer on same network
- Can't ping computer on network
- Can ping but can't browse [solved] > Forum - Internet/Social Networks
- Can't ping PCs while connected to a Router [solved] > Forum - Network
- The network architecture can be termed as a > Guide
- Social networking sites not working > Forum - Internet/Social Networks
- Network card
- Get a computer name from IP address in a LAN: command line
- TeamViewer sound sharing: Mac, Android, not working, Ubuntu
- Teamviewer start with Windows: missing, registry
- Set the right MTU: meaning, calculator, settings
- Windows networking commands: with examples, cheat sheet
- How to activate VoLTE in Vodafone India
- Unable to access http://192.168.0.1
- 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.0.1 IP address signification
- List open ports: Windows, Linux
- How to connect PCs with a Ethernet cable?
- Cups-pdf for Windows: driver, virtual PDF printer
- Activate Internet booster: Vodafone India
- How to crimp ethernet cable: RJ45 network cable
- Configure WinSCP: to save to an INI File
- Dell Inspiron Bluetooth drivers: installation
- Disable TeamViewer shutdown: greyed out, remote-shutdown
- The list of DNS servers of the major ISPs
- Find your mac address: Windows 10, Linux, Mac
- Freebox "Router" mode
- How to share internet connection: Android