Old computer keeps going off

Closed
JudySis - Jan 15, 2008 at 05:13 AM
blackbeaute Posts 18 Registration date Saturday December 4, 2004 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2012 - Feb 21, 2008 at 05:44 AM
Hello,
My old computer I've been using for about 7-9 years keeps shutting down. Buying a new computer isn't really an option because I'm giving it to my sister so she can keep up with college. It hasn't been used in about a year, and I just started it up but now it doesn’t seem to stay on for longer than 10 minutes…
Any guess?

2 responses

blackbeaute Posts 18 Registration date Saturday December 4, 2004 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2012 1
Feb 21, 2008 at 05:44 AM
Hello,

If the above does not work, you could try this too:

Maybe the power supply is too old and is failing.
My advice is that you replace it.

Or, I suggest that you look up the power supply mode setting in the control panel if the sleep mode is not set to shut down after 10 minutes.

Also, you could go to the BIOS setup menu, then go to the Power page and
check if the sleep mode is enabled. If so, you may want to change or disable it.

Hope this helps
Usually computers shut down when they get to hot. Are all the fans running? Especially the heatsink fan. Heat can cause shutdowns. Look up if the fans are not full of dust and try cleaning them.

Also I’ve heard about a program that can monitor the heat of laptops. Maybe you should look on the Internet about this. All feedback on the subject would be appreciated!