Gremlin in my 'puter

Closed
perplexed - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM
tmendola Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 2, 2010 - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Hello,

I've moved, got new cable internet hooked up. Comp won't access internet at home. I plug direct into modem. Limited or No Connectivity. Connected 100MBS. Girlfriends computer will work at my place. My comp works at her house, and at the PC Repair shop I had check it. Still won't work at my house. Seems to work no prob elsewhere.... What could cause such an effect? Modem and cables work fine, as I said, gf's comp works. Running Windows xp sp3 -- this comp ran for 6 years with same provider at another address. P4 2.6GHZ HT

Tried the /renew /release stuff and all is set for auto detect.. as I said it works everywhere but home - moving isn't an option lol.

1 response

tmendola Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 2, 2010
Sep 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM
This sounds like an issue that I've run into many times working with other people's networks. Cable companies, specifically Comcast, for one reason or another cling to a specific MAC address for a given modem. I am still stumped as to how it chooses the MAC that it likes, but it is never the one that I think it would logically be. It only allows that MAC address to access the internet.

The easiest solution is to buy a wireless access point (don't worry, they have LAN ports in the back for your desktop, too.), plug it into the modem, and configure the access point to spoof the MAC address of your girlfriend's machine. This will allow any computer connected to that access point access to the internet.

I don't know how tech-savvy you are, but configuring a wireless access point is pretty easy because they come with a graphic interface. You can access the interface by logging into the access point through your web browser.

You can figure out what your girlfriend's machine's MAC is by using the ipconfig /all command.

Hope that explains things!