Computer problems.

Closed
Justin - Dec 24, 2008 at 01:29 AM
 Justin - Dec 24, 2008 at 03:03 AM
Hello,
I've put together many computers in the past, but I've never ran across a problem quite like this. I recently took all my hardware out (RAM cards, graphic card, wireless card, sound card) to do a routine cleaning. Upon putting everything back, and hooking all my wires back in, it seems something has gone wrong. Now I must mention, before I took everything apart, I DID shut down properly and flipped the switch on the PSU and unplugged it.
Once I plugged everything back in, and as soon as I plugged the PSU in, the whole computer turns on.
The PSU does turn on and so does all the fans in the tower, the dvd tray has power and opens, I can hit the illuminate button on the keyboard, but the mouse doesn't work, the monitor doesn't work, and upon hitting the numlock button on the keyboard, nothing happens.
When I have the PSU plugged in, upon hitting the power button, the PSU stays on (fan running), but everything else on the computer shuts down and won't turn "back on".

This has never happened before and I've checked every wire, every plug. All RAM cards work perfectly, my graphics card light luminates, wireless card shows activity.
I just don't know what the problem is.
And I've been told to steer clear of the Best Buy Geek Squad on an issue like this.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

1 response

trustm600 Posts 7 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009
Dec 24, 2008 at 02:55 AM
hi
a double-check always proves to be helpful!
remove all the cables an put them back again! Remove also the RAM cards, graphic card, wireless card, sound card, etc... and plug them back again!
I've double checked, triple checked, hell...I've checked 100 plus times.
I tried with dual fan PSU and my 7900gt, I tried it with my dual fan PSU and my 9800gtx.
And I've tried both video cards with the single fan PSU.
I've tried every RAM card I have by itself, in combination with the other 3 I have in there.
All to no luck.

Hell, I've had just the 24 pin connector plugged into the PSU and then the PSU plugged in and the damn thing still starts on its own without the help of the power button.

At this point is it safe to assume its my mobo?

I'm going to take it to my competitor LAN center here in the Carolinas to see if they can offer more explination than my employees.

Any help during would be amazing tho!
Thanks.