DVD Drive vanished, need help please.

Solved/Closed
Cranky Andy - Mar 25, 2011 at 05:51 AM
 Cranky Andy - Mar 29, 2011 at 02:58 PM
Hello,
I am having a bit of bother with my DVD drive. A few months ago, it just disappeared, and I haven't been able to use it since. I have tried many of the solutions here, and none work, I have had two replacement DVD drives, none work. The DVD drive doesn't even show up in the BIOS screen, or in device manager. Is this a fault with the laptop or IDE?
I have an Acer Aspire 7520 Laptop, AMD athalon 64x2, Windows Vista, and the DVD drive is supposed to be a DVD-Super multi double layer. I haven't the faintest idea what to do, and have already started looking for a new laptop. Is there anyone out there who can save me a few quid and solve this annoying problem please?
Faithfully,
Andy.
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 25, 2011 at 06:03 AM
Hi,

What do you mean by this ''I have tried many of the solutions here'' can you mention them ?

Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 25, 2011 at 06:10 AM
Hello Pcsces

Excellent question and most à propos! This would avoid us from repeating ourselves.
Hiya,

Yeah, I've tried taking it out and replacing it, I've tried the "fix it" from microsoft, I've tried the registrry editor, deleting upper and lower filters. The computer just doesn't want to recognise a DVD drive. System restore is limited to this month, so no good there. BIOS doesn't recognise a drive either.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Also, I have tried mounting a virtual device and scanning for changes, nothing there. Tried uninstalling all burning software incase it was anything to do with them, still nothing...
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 26, 2011 at 04:13 AM
Dear Cranky and Dear Andy

What about the driver ? Did you update and reinstal the driver ?
Blocked Profile
Mar 26, 2011 at 05:30 AM
Hi guys,

It may be a driver issue as Ambucias mentioned i do agree with him but what tricks me it has been replaced twice and not even detected in bios ,If you want to take the risk make a backup of data and try to boot from any live cd or windows installation cd and revert back to us.

Good luck
Mar 26, 2011 at 05:43 AM
Hello you too,

I agree, intriguing as you say pcsces. Not detected by Windows either. I wonder what Cranky's operating system is. He never mentioned.

Pcsces, I will leave this one to you because you are probably much more able to handle it. I will return to my beloved viruses.

Have a nice day
Hiya, Thanks for the ideas. I have checked for the drivers, device manager does not recognise the device so I can't update the drivers. I don't have a windows disc, as the OS was pre loaded.
The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.

I was thinking about a roll back, but system restore will not let me go further than 03/03/11.

Do you think the connection for the drive is faulty, as the two replacement drives were not recognised either.

Thanks for the help,

Andy.
Mar 26, 2011 at 04:04 PM
Dear Andy,

I don't know what pcsces would say, but your last suggestion seems to be the answer.

Did you get a CD with either drive?

Sometimes it takes a driver to a device recognise.
Blocked Profile
Mar 28, 2011 at 06:25 AM
Hi,

Well download ubuntu or take on loan from a friend mate and try to boot from it ,Concerning your last line if connector is not good then it cannot be replaced ,you will have to replace motherboard instead,

Regards,
Pcsces
Oh well, I will just look into a new laptop and give this one to my brother. Thanks for your help.

Andy.