Computer turns off halfway thru a scan

Closed
hali 902 - Jan 27, 2009 at 08:36 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 27, 2009 at 09:03 PM
when i do a scan my computer turns off. i tryed with a few different programs but it always just turns off. i think i have a virus maybe "zango gimmeysmiley" or something to do witn msnmsgr.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 27, 2009 at 09:03 PM
Did you run the scan in "safe mode"? it might help limit the virus activity. Otherwise you may need to download and burn a anti-virus bootable CD on another computer. Google "Avira Rescue-CD". I have used it and it does seem OK. Just click on the Union Jack flag to change the interface from German to English. Out of the box, it will only scan your computer - you must change the configuration settings to enable virus/malware removal.

Sometimes the virus has modified Windows so much that the only fix is to re-install. In this case you might try a "repair/re-install " Windows XP will install and leave your application programs intact. Google "Windows repair install" for instructions.
Good Luck