Unfixable bootloop?

Closed
Rivers - Dec 28, 2011 at 02:59 AM
 Rivers - Dec 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Hello,
I need some help. My pc has this problem where it begins booting up by checking the "extended ram passed". Trouble is that after checking it, it immediately bootloops back to checking it again. I've replaced the ram..that didn't fix it. Tho it seems if i try to run with less than the 2gb it's used to it then gets through the check...says"memory error" press f2 to continue...i hit f2 and it boots up just fine....this makes no sense. Please help.

2 responses

bluenose Posts 172 Registration date Tuesday November 22, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2013 31
Dec 28, 2011 at 06:25 AM
It looks like your PC is not recognizing correctly the newly installed RAM memory chip. Make sure that it is of the same type as the one originally installed - i.e. DDR 2 or DDR 3.

Also RAM chips are extremely sensitive to static electricity if you touch them with bare hand and did not have a direct connection to the ground (i.e. no shoos on your feet), this might have produced a spark (might not have noticed it) which in turn would break the chip and render it unusable, thus the error being returned upon check.
Thanks for the speedy reply. they are DDR 2 just as the old one. and they both work if only left one at a time. Also when both are in, the count that the comp die gets all the way to 2040 which if I'm not mistaken means that it is indeed seeing it, it just doesn't do the next thing in the boot sequence before looping...