Cd-r

Closed
Andrea - Feb 12, 2012 at 01:00 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 12, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Hello, I am not very computer literate at all.My son has a 500 page story to write and save on disc.I have bought a pack of Kodak cd-r discs.When going to save my sons work it wont do it,saying that it is full and when i try again something else not right.All i know is it is a cd-writer and dvd rom,so please help,thanks.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Feb 12, 2012 at 03:36 PM
You should have bought a Flash drive. Even a 1 GB flash drive will store multiple copies of a 500 page document.

You problem is that Windows XP does not treat the CD drive like it does a hard disk or flash drive. You can't "drag and drop" or copy directly to a CD-R. You must open the CD-R volume using Windows special program for CD output. Normally when you insert the blank CD it will ask you what you want to do with the CD. A pop-up window opens and dives you multiple choices - you want "Open writable CD folder" . Then you copy your file to that folder and then select "Write these files to CD" when you have completed the copy and want to burn the files. That's a lot of work if you back-up each day. If you have Roxio or Nero CD software you can format the CD is a special way so that you can add multiple files at different times.

I suggest you have a least three types of backup. One in a different folder on the computer, one on a flash drive and one on the CD-R.

Good Luck