Firefox and IE Destroyed after virus. Help :(

Solved/Closed
Dusty K Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 14, 2009 - Feb 13, 2009 at 08:41 AM
 leomartintsa - May 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Hello everyone, so let me explain how this happened, I got home from work one day and the g/f had accidentally downloaded a trio of trojan worms - Between a combination of msconfig, safe mode, and AVG I was successfully able to nullify the virus, it doesn't run anymore - This I am very confident of.

The problem is that Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer don't really function anymore, or I don't trust them enough to use them anymore. The problem is difficult to describe, but random elements of certain pages refuse to load. Sometimes entire pages do not load. Any sort've Flash interface seems to not function. It could be javascript also. Running Firefox in safe mode does nothing.

I figured a picture might help describe the problem more accurately, currently one of the most busted sites is Penny Arcade. Firefox and Internet Explorer both make the website look like this:

https://www.afternic.com/forsale/kwix.shackspace.com?utm_source=TDFS_DASLNC&utm_medium=DASLNC&utm_campaign=TDFS_DASLNC&traffic_type=TDFS_DASLNC&traffic_id=daslnc&

I also happen to have Google Chrome installed - and the strange thing is that Chrome works like a charm and was obviously unaffected by these viruses. What I want to know is there anyway of repairing my Firefox and IE back to a stable running condition? I mean - I could just use Chrome now, but i'd rather use the browser I enjoy using. I've already tried reinstalling both of these applications with 0 effect. Could this be caused by some sort've registry edit? Perhaps there is something else I can do to help discover exactly what is wrong with them? Any info you guys can give me on what I might be able to do to fix these two applications would be huge. Thanks. I know that it might not be either of them, there are tons of mini apps that get installed as you browse - things like javascript and flash and I worry that perhaps one of them is busted now, but if thats true then why does Chrome work?

Again - any help would be huge. Thanks guys.
Related:

41 responses

Hey Shellipe, I did exactly like you said: Go to program files, went under internet explorer, opened connection wizard then hit inetwiz. The window popped up and the black dot was on,"connect using my phone line," so I changed it to "connect using LAN," which I do use, and I hit next. However, it said " You must manually set up your own TCP/IP Protocols, dial up networking connection, modem, ISDN line, or other device you must use to dial out from your computer." I dont know what to do. Any Ideas? By the way I had the same problem as everyone else, got a virus, destroyed it all but not one page will load up for firefox and internet explorer. Thanks for the help.
Hi Ty,

Without looking at your computer, lets try to check all areas where you would set up dial up or internet. Typically the next screen after Inetwiz and LAN Settings should take you to the manual or proxy screen. Lets look in tools, IE properties, connections and make sure "never dial a connection is checked". Then go to Lan Settings tab and check for automatically detect settings and remove all other checkmarks. I will continue to examine. If you could send me a screen shot of the "You must manually set up your TCPIP..." I may be able to better assist you. Thanks. Also check the intenet options connections and setup radio button at the top, and run throught set up internet connections to make sure all is selected correctly based in your network setup.
After reading some more, is there a way you can next out of that screen without any configuration. Your TCPIP should be DHCP enabled, (i'm assuming you have a home or office network) no settings necessary. Make sure you do not have a static IP address by going to Network/properties/scroll down to TCPIP and go to properties. It should read "Obtain the IP Address Automatically". Click on advanced and it should say "DHCP Enabled".