Last seen
August 8, 2013
- Aug 6, 2013 at 09:49 PM - Latest reply: canewell05
Registration date
Monday May 26, 2014
Last seen
May 26, 2014
- May 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Hi!! I really hope someone can help me..I'm quite desperate...

After using my usb elsewhere when I put it back in my laptop, I saw that all my folders where turned into shortcuts and weren't able to access anything. When I looked at the hidden folders I saw my original files and was able to access everything luckily. So I backed it up and formatted my usb, but as soon as I add a file into the usb again, the shortcuts reappears. The same thing happened to my phone which was connected to the laptop at the time, and when I looked at the folders on the phone, they all had the .lnk extension. I tried the whole "cmd -> attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* " thing and all it did was show me my hidden files. I also tried to detect what was wrong with an anti-virus but it didn't pick anything up, and neither did malawarebytes. Also I don't think its an autorun.inf problem, because I don't see it anywhere when I unhide all the folders (could it be?). How do I get rid of these shortcut files permanently that they don't come back and prevent any of my future hard drives or usb's from being affected again?

I really hope someone can help me, I don't know what else to do.
See more 

14 replies

Best answer
jinxedtech
Registration date
Tuesday August 6, 2013
Last seen
August 8, 2013
- Aug 8, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Thank you
I just wanted to say I fixed the problem, just a heads up for anyone in the future with the same problem...I downloaded MSE instaler ie Microsoft Security Essential, and did a full system scan and it picked up the problem. :)

Thank you, jinxedtech 12

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1621 users this month

I have exactly the same problem as yours, tried exactly what you have tried from the beginning . . but in windows 8 I have Windows Defender instead of MSE but it also didn't works as I have Norton security and can't disable it to run the Windows Defender . . I am totally desperate :(
same problem here nothing work
use USB DISK SECURITY sometimes IT WILL QUARANTINE the virus but you have delete the file by checking its location of the quarantine file it will be in c drive users
if the quarantine file is not deleted virus will remain but it will not be detected
thanks for your post I have encountered the same problem and it works I replaced my anti virus with mse
canewell05
Registration date
Monday May 26, 2014
Last seen
May 26, 2014
- May 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Thank you for this fix. I have Windows 8.1 and turned on Windows Defender, updated it and performed scan. It detected and then I removed the shortcut virus that previously kept coming back over and over. Defender worked!!!
Thank you
To remove viruses of USB port (windows creates shortcut while plugging in pendrive), which cannot be removed by antivirus-softwares. .
Try this...its really works.

>>Open Device Manager (in all windows)
>>Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller"
>>Uninstall all components under "Universal Serial Bus Controller"
>>Restart computer and let it be idle for 3-5 minutes (windows will automatically reinstall all hardware which will free of viruses).
carminabigue
Registration date
Tuesday March 19, 2013
Last seen
June 10, 2015
- Aug 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Thank you
Download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the below link

http://ccm.net/download/download-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware

Update it --> Perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan".

Good Luck.
jinxedtech
Registration date
Tuesday August 6, 2013
Last seen
August 8, 2013
- Aug 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Hi, thanks, I tried it out but it didn't work :( I still have the same problem. Any other ideas or suggestions?
malware
Registration date
Saturday January 18, 2014
Last seen
January 18, 2014
- Jan 18, 2014 at 05:46 PM
NOT WORKING...
Thank you
I also encountered such, all my programs were having the .lnk extensions I couldnt open any program so you need to download and run registry editor the restart the computer ,it worked for me .
SeanXJean09 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Thank you
you must remove Norton for that and use MSE/MD instead... MSE always works for me especially on that virus problem.
¡El Desaparecido!
Registration date
Tuesday October 4, 2011
Last seen
October 23, 2015
- Mar 18, 2014 at 08:54 AM
Thank you
To remove viruses of USB port , use this sofware (Free) ;)

-> http://www.en.usbfix.net/

Infection spreading through usb peripherals - What is it ?

Response : http://www.en.usbfix.net/2014/03/infections-spreading-usb-peripherals/