December 9, 2013
-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
-
please can anyone helf me? my extern HD got attacked i think when connecting it to a friend pc. It shows on shortcut with errors F :\recycled\d1ff3a.77.exe. please verify the name and insert the correct one.
I have tried some malwarebytes but nothing.
Thanks in advance

1 reply

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
This type issue could be caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and hard disk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

Download UsbFix (created by El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

http://ccm.net/download/download-24089-usbfix

If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
Plug in your usb devices (Flash drive, pen drive. External HD etc...) don't open them.
Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

Click on deletion
Let the tool work.

At the end of the scan a report will show which you can copy and paste here..

The report is save at the root ( C:\UsbFix.txt ).

You can also vaccinate against any virus.
If external Hard drive gets a virus just scan with Anti-Virus program after updating it then it will tell you what the file name is that cause the alert after which you Google the file name find out what it is supposed to do and what other nasty files are associated with it then you can manually delete it any associated files.

Why would you disable the anti-virus if it is the external Hard drive infected what idoit proposed that and use USB Fix exe,

You should never disable your anti-virus program once it is configured correctly even for installing new software and games unless your offline and know what program is infected.

Time and time again I see experts and novice misinform end users.
Further more disabling your anti-virus once your USB drive, External back up and or your main hard disk is infected is plain stupid,

If this happens find another computer, or use your mobile or ask a friend to use their computer to Google the virus, Trojan, backdoor hack and or worm etc name to find out how it infected your computer, where associated files hide, how to remove it, and wether you may name to fully reformat your computer the last one is extreme I have never had to do this since I used red hat Linux 9 at tafe in 1997 because reformatting can really cause activation problems.

I found it is better to manually search for associated files, like bat, exe, dll, and also search the registry for their hidden reg keys. I have never reformatted any computer since and have never had a infection since I taught myself that turning of anti-virus program actually allow transmission of further nasty into your computer and also causes the anti-virus program to become infected too. leading to blue screen of death.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
@Eric

Obviously, when you talk about novices, you must be refering to yourself.

I am sure you had never heard of USB Fix before this date, so you are talking through you hat !

Regards

Ambucias
Moderator and Virus/Security Contributor

P.S. Some antivirus software may prevent legitimate applications from running or gain access to certain files. That you did not know.
Dear Ambucias,
what i mean is that my external hard drive contains mutiples folders and sub-folders.
When i open a folder, i find unwanted additional file with the name (desktop) or (thumbs). these 2 files appears in every folder and sub-folder. Addtionnally to this, some files get doublicated carring the same name with original files but starting with dollar signe.
I wish you understand.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
That is perfectly normal when setting is set to show all files including hidden files. I suggest that you ignore it.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!