First long beep, now it will not power on

Closed
hispromise1 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday July 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2013 - Jul 10, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jul 11, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Good morning!

I woke up this morning, pushed the power button and walked away only to come back to my computer beeping (long beeps). Then I pushed the power button again to stop the beeping. No power light, just dead. I tried the power source on my other Dell and it worked on the other laptop, so that is ruled out. I took the battery and unplugged the charger, held down the power button for about a minute, no luck. I really need to get this working for my job. I work as a captioner for the hard of hearing.

Thanks in advance for your help!.
Related:

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 10, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Hi hispromise1,

Dell computers are equipped with Beep-Codes to identify the failures. For example two beeps will indicate memory failure for some specific models. In order to assist you I would need the exact System Model Number of your Dell Laptop and the Beep-Code pattern such as two beeps, three beeps, etc.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
hispromise1 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday July 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2013
Jul 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM
The model is Inspiron N5110 (is that what you wanted?). And I do apologize, but I had just woken up, and I can't really remember the number of beeps, although I am leaning toward 2 beeps.

Thanks!
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 11, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Hi hispromise1,

Please find below the "Beep Code Overview" for Inspiron N5110:

Beeps: 1
Description: BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure
Possible Cause: System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.

Beeps: 2
Description: No Memory (RAM) detected
Possible Cause: Memory or Memory slot failure

Beeps: 3
Description: System board failure
Possible Cause: System board failure

Beeps: 4
Description: Memory read / write failure
Possible Cause: Memory failure

Beeps: 5
Description: Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail
Possible Cause: CMOS battery failure

Beeps: 6
Description: Video BIOS test failure
Possible Cause: Video subsystem failure

Beeps: 7
Description: CPU Cache test failure
Possible Cause: Processor failure

Beeps: 8
Description: LCD
Possible Cause: LCD failure

As you mentioned you hear 2 beeps, I recommend re-seating the memory modules. Take a technician's help (or by yourself) to re-seat the memory modules. You can find instructions on how to re-seat the memory modules from the Service Manual. Click here to view/download the Service Manual. Please go through "Before you Begin" section of the manual before opening the chassis.

Hope this helps.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6