My dvd player on my dell latitude laptop reads cd's but not dvds

Solved/Closed
scallahan3389 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 04:44 PM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 8, 2014 at 07:37 PM
My DVD/CD ROM on my dell latitude laptop reads cd's but not dvds. Every time I put a dvd in, it searches and I get the error message, please insert disk into drive d: I have reinstalled drivers, followed every fix through Microsoft and Dell I could find, including installing a new DVD player. This is a new computer that I had someone else setup for me, so not sure if its a setup problem from windows 7? I know enough about computers to follow directions to fix, but not all the lingo... so any help out there would be greatly appreciated!

I have also tried changing the registry as suggested in previous forums and that does not work either...
Related:

5 responses

scallahan3389 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2014 2
Feb 7, 2014 at 01:04 PM
It does say DVD on the front of the tray on the drive. I ran a diagnostic test and received the following error message:

Error messaage 2000-0147
Validation 72062
Msg: Optical drive 0 self test spindle test failed

How do I fix this?
Blocked Profile
Feb 7, 2014 at 04:24 PM
It is possible your drive is faulty.

can you unplug/plug the drive in.

there is one screw holding the drive in place.

if you flip the laptop over and check around the area the drive is, there will be one screw. unscrew it and you'll be able to pull it out. You may want to eject the drive before turning it off so it's easier to pull out.
scallahan3389 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2014 2
Feb 8, 2014 at 03:51 PM
I found that the optical drive was bad and was able to replace it and now it is working perfect. Thank you for your help.
Blocked Profile
Feb 8, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Glad to be of assistance.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Feb 6, 2014 at 07:05 PM
Hi,

could you please go to "My Computer" and confirm whether or not your optical drive is a DVD reader too.

Reply back with what is exactly displayed.

it should also say DVD on the front of the tray on the drive.

Sometimes when my internet is down I forget the rest of my computer works.