Power problem

Closed
dennis.ocana Posts 3 Registration date Saturday April 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2014 - Apr 5, 2014 at 08:17 AM
dennis.ocana Posts 3 Registration date Saturday April 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2014 - Apr 6, 2014 at 02:19 AM
Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 Laptop that doesn't work. When I connect my AC Adapter to it, it turns on by itself and switches off after 3 seconds. Then turns on by itself again, and turns off. It keeps on doing the same thing. It also doesn't display anything on the screen while turning on. I'm thinking that's because it takes about 3-4 seconds before the Dell logo appears during the POST process. It keeps on doing that by itself, I tried plugging it in for about half a day and when I came back, it still does the same thing.

I've also tried having it taken to a local computer repair shop twice. They said that they won't even try fixing it since it has been disassembled by somebody else before. (Maybe my mom took it to a different technician without me knowing) So I disassembled it myself trying to find the root cause. If it's broken then I have no worries totally breaking it. I was able to get the motherboard out, with the fan and processor still attached to it.

When I plug the AC Adapter in the DC Input Jack, the fan starts to spin, indicating that it's turning on, after a few seconds, the fan stops, indicating that it's off. Then it would turn itself back on again, and off, and so on.

I'm wondering what could be the cause of it and if it can still be fixed, how? Thank you very, very much for the replies.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM
About the only way to fix your problem is to buy a NEW motherboard. But, you might be able to buy a new laptop for less money.

Good Luck
dennis.ocana Posts 3 Registration date Saturday April 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2014
Apr 6, 2014 at 01:47 AM
I was thinking of the same thing. I just tried looking for other options if there are any. Thank you for your suggestion, xpcman.
dennis.ocana Posts 3 Registration date Saturday April 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2014
Apr 6, 2014 at 02:19 AM
I forgot to mention, I checked out some troubleshooting steps, what I've done so far is that I've reseated the CPU and made sure that the heat sink screws are tightened. Upon testing, it still has the same issue. I've noticed that the slot where the CMOS Battery has no silver watch-battery thingy. Could that be problem?