System failure

Closed
LEE60149 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday June 9, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 9, 2015 - Jun 9, 2015 at 08:12 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Hello, I am having problems with my Compaq desktop. On the screen is black and shows:
<Windows Root> system 32 \ hal.dll

What do I need to do to fix it?

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM
The error hal.dll is missing or corrupt can usually be resolved by repairing the Windows boot configuration. Scroll to the appropriate version of Windows to view the repair instructions.

Windows XP
Repair the boot configuration using the Windows XP Recovery Console
Note:
The Windows XP CD is required to perform the following steps.

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and restart the computer.

Press the <Spacebar> when prompted Press any key to boot from CD.

At the Welcome to Setup screen press <R> to start the Recovery Console.

If prompted, select the number corresponding to the Windows installation you want to log into (usually C:\WINDOWS) and press <Enter>.

Enter the Administrator password, if any, and press <Enter>.

At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type cd \ and press <Enter>.
There is one space between cd and \ (the backslash).

Type bootcfg /rebuild and press <Enter>.
There is one space between bootcfg and / (the slash) and no space between / and rebuild.

When prompted Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All), type y, and press <Enter>.

When Enter Load Identifier appears, type one of the following that best describes your operating system and press <Enter>:

Windows XP Home Edition for Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional for Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center for Windows XP Media Center

When Enter OS Load Options appears, type /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect and press <Enter>.

Remove the Windows XP CD from the CD drive.

Type Exit, and press <Enter> to reboot into Windows XP.