Processor needed

Solved/Closed
kath2727 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 25, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 6, 2016 - Apr 29, 2016 at 02:00 PM
 Blocked Profile - May 6, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Kath, new member. For many years have had Dell Dimension E310, which has done well, but I think it is time for a new one....pretty slow compared to my friends computers. My monitor, and my keyboard are OK. Am retired so cannot get into buying the expensive processors - which I don't need anyway. My main 'activities' are e-mail, facebook, graphics using Livepix and/or Adobe, and OpenOffice Writer, oh, and shopping on line and paying bills. Sorry if I have gone on too much about this, but I really need help in what to get. Would like opinions, and also opinions on where to buy - EBay, Amazoin, Best Buy, Dell, etc. etc.
I thank you for reading this post, and hopefully hearing from someone.
Kath

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 29, 2016 at 04:49 PM
Hello,

We cannot recommend a place where you should purchase a computer.

What you should be looking for is the warranty as well as the after sales service.

You will not get the above from e-bay and Amazon, sometimes with Dell.

I have a Hewlett Packard and I am most satisfied with it. Best Buy often honours the manufacturer's warranty in the store.

Good luck
kath2727 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 25, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 6, 2016
May 6, 2016 at 09:53 AM
Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated.......
Blocked Profile
May 6, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Before you purchase any machine, go and see what kind of support the manufacturer (or more importantly where you purchase it from!-Echos Ambucias advice!)

You can also search the net for troubles that others may be having with a prospective computer you may be looking at. Some laptops will jump out at you for the troubles others are having (search this site and you will see a common denominator Manufacturer with most troubles!)

As for specs, any machine that will run 10 will be fast enough, the most important part is how much RAM you get. I encourage you to get either 6 or 8 MB of Ram. 4 is enough to surf web, but not 2gb. DO NOT GET CHEAP WITH RAM SPECIFICATIONS. If you are concerned with cheap, go with high ram and small HDD (hard disk drive). 500 GB is nice, but 80 will do most surfing just fine!