Every year Apple surprises us with the arrival of the new iPhone. This year was no exception, and we could finally see the iPhone 14 with its new features and Plus, Pro, and Pro Max versions. Read on to learn everything about the new Apple iPhone 14.
When was the iPhone 14 released?
After a long wait, Apple held its Keynote event on September 7th to present the new iPhone 14 and its different versions. In addition to showing significant improvements in battery and camera, new features such as satellite emergency mode and a more organic on-screen navigation experience have been introduced, which we will discuss in depth in this article.
The new generation of the iPhone family has a standard version and the Plus version, whose screen is 6.7 inches. In the most complete and competitive models, we find the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, with substantial changes in the quality of components such as the camera and screen and a faster and more powerful processor. In addition, the second generation of AirPods Pro has been presented, as well as three new models of Apple Watch. These were the release dates of the new Apple iPhones:
- iPhone 14
Release date: September 16th
- iPhone 14 Plus
Release date: October 7th
- iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max
Release date: September 16th
What does the iPhone 14 look like?
The new range of iPhones will be available in four models: iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max, all of them with capacities of 128 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB and the impressive capacity of 1TB in the Pro and Pro Max versions. In terms of size, the company has said goodbye to the Mini version of the iPhone, which had low sales levels, among other reasons, due to its poor battery life. The standard iPhone 14 model is 6.1 inches, while the iPhone 14 Plus is 6.7 inches. The Pro and Pro Max versions will be available in those two sizes.
During the event, one of the rumors circulating in the networks was confirmed, and it is that, in the Pro and Pro Max versions, the notch on the screen (the black bar at the top) has been replaced to give way to a pill-shaped perforation that Apple calls "Dynamic Island." This part of the screen allows you to interact with your phone in new ways, as it features a notification-like pill, where you can also display alerts and control some apps like Apple Music. This same space houses the TrueDepth front-facing camera, which is 31% smaller than the previous version and features light-sensing technology behind the screen to save power.
The basic iPhone 14 and Plus versions retain the notch from previous iPhones, although improvements have been made to the camera and image processing. They are also made of aerospace-grade aluminum with luxury finishes. Their display is coated with Ceramic Shield, an iPhone-exclusive technology tougher than any smartphone glass on the market. It protects the devices against spills and accidents thanks to its resistance to water and dust.
Both iPhone models feature a revamped internal design that improves their thermal performance (which translates into better battery performance) and spectacular Super Retina XDR displays with OLED technology that supports peak HDR brightness of 1,200 nits, 2,000,000:1 contrast, and Dolby Vision.
The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, meanwhile, are made of surgical grade stainless steel and textured matte glass. Both models include a Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion and, confirming rumors, an always-on display, allowing you to see the time, widgets, notifications, and activity on your phone at a glance. This is made possible by the new 1 Hz refresh rate and power-efficient technologies. The advanced display also offers the peak HDR brightness of the Pro Display XDR, and the most powerful outdoor peak brightness of any smartphone.
What are the iPhone 14 colors?
The iPhone 14 and Plus models is available in 5 colors: Midnight (black), Blue, Starlight (white/silver), Purple, and (PRODUCT) RED. As you may notice, they have discontinued the green color and changed the pink shade to a light purple. The blue color has also changed shades, giving this range a more discreet and refined look. A yellow version was added to the lineup several months after the initial release date.
On the other hand, the Pro and Pro Max ranges will be available in Deep Purple, Silver, Gold, and Space Black. They again say goodbye to the green and blue color found on the iPhone 13 Pro.
What are the iPhone 14 specs and features?
Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, announced, "Our customers count on their iPhone every day, and with iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, we're delivering more advancements than any other iPhone. iPhone 14 Pro introduces a camera system that empowers every user – from casual to professional – to take their best photos and video, and innovative new technologies like the Always-On display and the Dynamic Island, which offer new interactions for notifications and activities. Groundbreaking safety capabilities bring users even more security, offering help when they need it most. And with the incredibly powerful and efficient A16 Bionic chip and all-day battery life, this is the best iPhone yet".
- Processor: the most significant change in terms of the power of the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max is the implementation of chips with 3nm technology, which also ensures lower power consumption and lower heating of the device. The A16 chip is unique in the world; this chip allows you to enjoy features such as Dynamic Island and always-on display without losing battery life, which promises 24 hours of battery life. This new six-core chip with two performance and four efficiency cores is up to 40% faster than competing processors and allows you to deploy heavy graphics and 50% more memory. Its 16-core Neural Engine can process nearly 17 trillion operations per second. The iPhone 14 and Plus will continue to feature the A15 chip, which presents an excellent processing advantage over its competitors.
- RAM: all iPhone 14 models have a RAM of 6GB, thus ensuring greater speed. In terms of internal memory, they will have a capacity ranging from 128 GB to 1 TB; the latter is in the Pro and Pro Max models.
- Camera: the new camera also presents substantial improvements. The iPhone 14 and Plus have a 12 Mpx main camera, a front TrueDepth camera with wider angles, and Photonic Engine technology, allowing better low-light performance. The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max feature a 48 Mpx main camera with a Quad Pixel sensor, capable of storing several pixels in one and optimizing ambient light. All ranges include action mode, which adjusts for sudden movements and vibrations during recording. They also feature an enhanced flash, a cinema mode available in 4K at 30 fps and 4K at 24 fps and HDR recording with Dolby Vision.
- Dimensions and weight: The iPhone 14 is lighter than the previous iPhone 13. It weighs 172g (6.07oz) and measures: Height: 146.7mm (5.78 in), Width: 71.5mm (2.81 in), Depth: 7.8mm (0.31 in). It is slightly thicker than the previous model.
- The battery has substantial improvements for faster charging and longer battery life. This is due to the processing efficiency of its A15 and A16 chips. Apple's promise is 24-hour battery life. The port would remain Lightning despite the growing trend to unify electronic device ports to USB-C.
- Health and Entertainment: In terms of health apps, the iPhone 14 includes a free subscription to Apple Fitness+, which includes more than 3,000 video routines, personalized workouts, and meditations. For gamers, the Pro and Pro Max versions will also include three free months of Apple Arcade for you to try the gaming experience enabled by its new technology.
- iOS 16: The iPhone 14 will use iOS 16, the highlights being a new personalised Lock Screen, Focus Updates, improved iMessage features and more. We go into more detail in our dedicated iOS 16 article.
How much does the iPhone 14 cost?
Although a substantial increase in price was expected due to factors such as inflation and disruptions in supply chains, Apple decided to keep prices competitive and similar to those of the iPhone 13. These were the initial retail prices of the different iPhone models upon release, today you should be able to find them for less:
- iPhone 14: from $799.
- iPhone 14 Plus: from $899.
- iPhone 14 Pro: from $999.
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: from $1,099.
iPhone 13 vs. iPhone 14: which one should I buy?
If you are interested in buying an iPhone right now, there are several factors to consider between the iPhone 13 and the 14. If you want to buy a lower-end device, the iPhone 13 with 124GB of memory currently costs $699, versus $799 for the new entry-level model; such a slight difference is worth going for the new one.
If you want a phone with a larger screen, it will also be worth opting for the iPhone 14 Plus or Pro, since the 6.7-inch size is not available on the previous model. You just have to consider the price difference between a Plus and a Pro, which will be several hundred dollars. The choice will depend on how you use your device since the improvements in the camera are more significant in the Pro version, and you also have the possibility of having a larger storage capacity.
On the other hand, if you were thinking of purchasing an iPhone Pro or Pro Max, they will most likely be discontinued on Apple's website, as happened with the transition from iPhone 12 to 13.
Whatever your decision, Apple has a monthly financing system that you can check directly on the site in your region or at an Apple Store. Conditions and installments may vary in each country. Another option is to find out if your mobile operator has plans or offers to purchase a new model. Finally, don't forget that Apple gives you an additional discount if you turn in your previous model.
If you currently have an iPhone 12, or an iPhone 13 and looking to update to the iPhone 14, it may be worth waiting until the next release of the iPhone 15. If you can hold out and aren't in desperate need of a new phone then the iPhone 15 looks like it will be the first iPhone to have USB C charging. Have a look at our dedicated iPhone 15 article on what to expect from the next iPhone.